In recent times, Lagos residents are being robbed by armed gangs who swooped on them as soon as they withdraw cash from ATM in the city. While some have lost cash, some have been shot and have died. How can you avoid being a victim of violent ATM robbers?
1. Always pay close attention to the ATM and your surroundings. Don't select an ATM at the corner of a building -- corners create a blind spot. Use an ATM located near the center of a building. Do your automated banking in a public, well-lighted location.
2. Maintain an awareness of your surroundings throughout the entire transaction. Be wary of people trying to help you with ATM transactions. Be aware of anyone sitting in a parked car nearby. When leaving an ATM make sure you are not being followed. If you are, drive immediately to a police or to a crowded.
READ ALSO: 12 Tips To Avoid Being A Victim Of One-Chance Robbery In Lagos
3.Do not use an ATM that appears unusual looking or offers options with which you are not familiar or comfortable.
4. Do not allow people to look over your shoulder as you enter your PIN. Memorize your PIN; never write it on the back of your card. Do not re-enter your PIN if the ATM eats your card -- contact a bank official.
5. Do not wear expensive jewelry or take other valuables to the ATM. They may mistake you for a rich patron.
6.Never count cash at the machine or in public. Wait until you are in your car or a secure place.
READ ALSO: 20 Most Dangerous Bus Stops To Avoid In Lagos
7. When using a drive-up ATM, keep your engine running, your doors locked and leave enough room to maneuver between your car and the one ahead of you in the drive-up line.
8. Maintain a supply of deposit envelopes at home or in your car. Prepare all transaction paperwork prior to your arrival at the ATM. This will minimize the amount of time spent at the machine.
9. Closely monitor your bank statements, as well as your balances, and immediately report any problems to your bank.
READ ALSO: 10 Ways To Outsmart Pick Pockets In Lagos
10. If you are involved in a confrontation with an assailant who demands your money, COMPLY.