- Another day, another attack on security operatives in the southeast region of Nigeria
- The latest incident has led to the death of thre police officers on highway duties
- The gunmen were said to have also carted away the rifles of the officers after killing them
According to the report, the operatives were shot while on duty at about 7:30 pm on Wednesday, April 14 along Nwezenyi road in the state capital.
The officers who sustained bullet wounds during the attack were later confirmed dead by doctors at the Alex Ekwueme Federer University Teaching Hospital Abakaliki.
Commissioner for internal security and border peace, Stanley Okoroemegha, confirmed the incident.
“The officers were attacked along the border between Cross River and Ebonyi through Nwezenyi axis. They were on safer highway.”
According to Sahara Reporters, the gunmen ambushed the operatives while they were on a stop-and-search duty and carted away their rifles after killing them.
They were said to have operated with a bus with which they escaped the scene.
Some Nigerians have been commenting on the latest attack on policemen in Ebonyi state via social media.
Chibuzor Victor wrote on Twitter:
“These alleged unknown gunmen will soon upgrade to armored tankers and rocket-propelled grenades. It's too later for dialogue with unknown gunmen.”
Ismoh Momoh wrote:
“Southeast leaders should quickly rise up and clear this mess or they live to regret it.”
Femi Mufasa wrote:
“Even the police are no longer safe in this country. The rate at which they are being attacked these days is alarming.”
Stanley Sinclair wrote:
“Nigeria's government should protect its security operatives. Nothing shows that government really cares. All they move about is the 2023 election. My heart goes out to the families of the deceased.”
Sarafadeen Mudashiru Afolayan wrote:
“When on earth will these killings stop? Last week 11 soldiers killed in Benue state, yesterday 3 policemen killed in Ebonyi. Don't forget these people too have families, relatives and loved ones. If I may ask who are these gunmen and where are they from? Is this how we will continue as a nation?”
Ezekiel Chukwu wrote:
“Honestly, it is painful every day in this country sad news. Please those unknown gunmen should stop. Those people are family men and they have wives and children to take care of.”
Meanwhile, Governor Dave Umahi of Ebonyi has stated that the recent attacks in the southeast were the handiwork of people outside the region.
Umahi who is also the chairman of the southeast governors' forum, said those planning the attacks want to incite Igbos into war.
Reacting to the recent upsurge in insecurity in the southeast, a retired Nigerian Army officer, Major-General Chukwunedum Abraham, said security is everyone's business and should not be left only for security agencies to tackle.