Hijab: Controversy as Christian sect draws battle line with Kwara governor, sends warning to him

Hijab: Controversy as Christian sect draws battle line with Kwara governor, sends warning to him

- The decision of Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq on hijab wearing in Kwara secondary schools is causing serious problems

- Amid outcry and controversies, the state government has approved the use of the religious covering for female students in state-funded schools

- The resolve of the government has been described by the Kwara Baptist Conference as the product of bad advice

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq of Kwara has come under fire for approving the wearing of hijab by female students in mission schools financed by the state.

The decision has been rejected by the Kwara Baptist Conference which opined that the governor is following wrong advice, Punch reports.

Kicking against the government's move, the president of the conference, Reverend Victor Dada, claimed that the governor even acted in contempt of the court because the case is still pending.

Read also

Kaduna abduction: Atiku reacts, advises FG to stop paying ransom

Moreover, Dada said the stance of the government will bring about a crisis of unprecedented proportion.

Hijab: Christian sect draws battle line with Kwara governor, sends warning to him
The governor has come under serious fire for approving hijab in mission schools (Photo: @RealAARahaman, @WorldHijabDay)
Source: Twitter

Dada stated:

“We want to warn the government that the step it wants to take by approving the use of Hijab for all public schools and grant-aided schools will lead to an avalanche of reactions, the end of which no one can predict.
“By this move, the state government is saying the Muslims' purported rights are superior to that of the Christians."

The religious group said it will fight for its heritage at all costs and requested the return of its schools by the state.

Earlier, the Kwara state government approved the use of hijab in all public schools in the state, following days of deliberations with stakeholders.

The state government has also directed the 10 schools it shut last week to reopen on Monday, March 1.

Legit.ng gathered that this was disclosed in a statement released by the secretary to the government, Professor Mamma Sabah Jibril, on Thursday, February 25.

Read also

Several killed as bandits overrun six villages in Zamfara state

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

The state government had on Friday, February 19, directed the temporary closure of 10 grant-aided secondary schools in Ilorin, the state capital, pending the resolution of the controversy on the use of hijab.

Onyirioha Nnamdi is a graduate of Literature and English Language at the University of Lagos. He is a Politics/Current Affairs Editor who writes on news and political topics for Legit.ng. He brings into his reporting a wealth of experience in creative and analytical writing. Nnamdi has a major interest in local and global politics.

Source: Legit

Online view pixel