- FG has asked all the public and private schools in Nigeria to resume on January 18
- The decision was taken on Thursday, January 14, in Abuja, after a stakeholders meeting
- Adamu Adamu, the minister of education, said that the schools should adhere strictly to COVID-19 protocols
The federal government has finally declared that all public and private schools across the country should resume on Monday, January 18.
The Nation reports that the decision was taken by the federal government after reaching a consensus with governors, commissioners and other stakeholders.
Legit.ng gathered that the consensus was reached at a meeting between the minister of education, Mallam Adamu Adamu and commissioners of education in Abuja.
Sonny Echono, the permanent secretary of the federal ministry of education, who confirmed the new development said the minister had extensive discussions with state governors and proprietors of schools.
“We have had extensive discussions with state governors, proprietors of schools, labour /staff unions and students’ representatives. And the consensus is that we should reopen all schools."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the federal government declared that it would review the January 18 earlier date fixed for resumption of schools across the country.
It was reported that the government on Monday, January 11, attributed the decision to the second wave of COVID-19 currently ravaging the country.
The minister of education, Adamu Adamu, disclosed this while answering questions during a press briefing by the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 in Abuja.
In another report, the Lagos state government announced that all schools in the southwest state are to reopen for academics from Monday, January 18.
The announcement was made on Monday, January 4, by the state's commissioner of education, Folasade Adefisayo.
In a statement released by the spokesperson of the state's education ministry, Kayode Abayomi, Adefisayo said the new date was in line with the federal government's directive that schools should remain closed at least until that date.
The Lagos government on Sunday, January 3, ordered that all schools in the state should remain closed till further notice due to the spread of the second wave of COVID-19.
The announcement was similarly made by the spokesman of the ministry of education in the state, Abayomi.
Coronavirus: Are Nigerians really afraid of COVID-19? New survey reveals more | - on Legit TV