- Katsina state government has secured the release of abducted Kankara schoolboys
- The innocent boys were kidnapped by unknown gunmen on Friday, December 11
- Lauretta Onochie, a presidential aide, said the Katsina state government confirmed the story
A statement by the special assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on social media, Lauretta Onochie, indicates that the government of Katsina state has announced the release of over 500 schoolboys abducted on Friday, December 11, at Kankara local government area of the state.
Legit.ng reports that Onochie said that the state government led by Governor Aminu Bello Masari confirmed the release of the boys on the evening of Thursday, December 17.
Also corroborating the report, the personal assistant to the president on new media, Bashir Ahmad, in a tweet said that the abducted schoolboys have been rescued.
"The abducted students of the Government Science Secondary School, Kankara has been rescued, the Katsina State Government has confirmed the news. Alhamdulillah!
Governor Aminu Bello Masari reacts
Speaking on the release of the schoolboys, the governor of the state, Bello Masari said the governor said the abductees would be reunited with their families later today after medical examination.
Masari said the government would increase security personnel in the schools to avert a re-occurrence.
“We have protected and secured all our schools. We are going to increase the number of security operatives in our schools to make sure that we don’t experience what we have experienced in the past six days. We want to encourage communities around those schools to form another security unit around the schools."
The governor said the security agencies did well in securing the areas the pupils were camped, adding that the whole area was secured and cordoned by the security agencies to secure the children.
He said that the issue of security is a challenge to everyone, saying “we can overcome our insecurity challenges if we all cooperate, unite and provide critical information to the security agencies.”
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that minutes after she reportedly tweeted that the 333 boys captured in Kankara local government area of Katsina state were rescued, the chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abike Dabiri-Erewa, distanced herself from the tweet.
It was reported that the presidential aide said her Twitter and Instagram accounts were hacked by some fraudulent people.
Few hours after a video of Boko Haram commander, Abubakar Shekau, circulated across the internet confirming the capture of the over 300 boys, a report announced the release of 333 abducted schoolboys.
Reacting to the tweet, Dabiri-Erewa announced that her account was hacked and she had retrieved it and changed her passwords.
In a related development, a Nigerian cleric, Bishop Pinot Ogbaji, condemned the alleged attempt by some unpatriotic individuals to undermine the efforts by the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.
Bishop Ogbaji alleged that some individuals are sabotaging the efforts of the administration in the area of fighting insurgency, banditry, and protecting the lives and property of Nigerians across the country.
He also said that anyone who is part of the saboteurs or those planning to join them in frustrating the present administration will soon be exposed.
How best can President Buhari tackle insecurity | - on Legit TV