John Obi Mikel: Trabzonspor confirm Nigerian star suffered racial abuse against Fenerbahce

John Obi Mikel: Trabzonspor confirm Nigerian star suffered racial abuse against Fenerbahce

- John Obi Mikel became the latest football star to suffer racial abuse

- The 32-year-old was in action for his Turkish League side Trabzonspor

- Mikel was targeted by Fenerbahce supporters after losing 2-1 at the end of the game

Turkish Super Lig side Trabzonspor have confirmed that former Super Eagles captain John Obi Mikel suffered racial abuse after their clash against Fenerbahce over the weekend.

The 32-year-old midfielder was said to have been targeted by come of the visitors'supporters during the game.

Mikel was subjected to several threats and all other sorts of humiliating messages on his social media space after the game.

However, after thorough investigations by the club, the allegations were found to be true and the club has tendered their complaints to the local authority.

PAY ATTENTION: Become a member of the leading sports Facebook group 'Naija Football Fan Zone'

Nigerians react as female singer Daffy Blanco levels molestation, fraud accusations against Peruzzi Vibes

The club said on their official Twitter handle on Monday afternoon: "Racism is a refuge for helpless and ignorant people.

"Our football player, Obi Mikel, condemns the racist attacks after the Fenerbahce match; We present to the public that we have filed a criminal complaint against the attackers.

Meanwhile, SunSport reports that the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations bronze winner would be taking up the issue on his own - aside whatever action his club would be taking.

It would be recalled that the Chelsea legend moved to Turkey last summer and has made 22 appearances across competitions but no goal has registered under his name.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng

Mikel spent over ten years at Stamford Bridge winning one Champions League, one Europa League, two Premier Leagues among other domestic titles.

He parted ways with the Blues after participating at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games where he led Nigeria to finish third at the end of the championship.

Nollywood actor Juwon Awe reportedly shot dead by unknown gunmen

Legit.ng earlier reported that former Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli has been a victim of the same subject in Italy.

The Italian forward was in action for Brescia against Hellas Verona late last year when a section of the fans subjected him to racist slurs.

Balotelli protested against the abuse, thereby forcing the encounter to a sudden end in the 50th minute.

Heavyweight boxer Anthony Joshua also lent a voice of courage to the disturbing trend of racism in sports, with the world unified heavyweight champion blaming the saddening development on "lack of education."

Sadio Mane doesn't care about worldly things - Liverpool loanee Taiwo Awoniyi | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel