Malaysian university shuts classes over mysterious death of Nigerian PhD student

Malaysian university shuts classes over mysterious death of Nigerian PhD student

A university of creative technology in Malaysia, on Friday, July 12, shut down activities for a day over the death of a doctorate student who happened to be from Nigeria.

The Limkokwing University of Creative Technology, a private educational institution, announced the death of Orhionsefe Ewansiha Thomas on its Twitter handle with a photograph of the deceased.

Thomas, born in 1985, and survived by a wife and two children, according to a report by the Malay Mail, died in detention after a raid by the Malaysian immigration department.

“It is with the deepest regret that we report the demise of Orhions Ewansiha Thomas. Pursuing his PhD in management, Mr Thomas was an inspired young man.

READ ALSO: upgrades to a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

“All of us at Limkokwing University wish to express our heartfelt wishes of love and support to all affected,” the institution said in its tweet.

The school announced, according to the report, that activities in the institution had been suspended till Monday, July 15.

The decision to suspend classes, the university said, was in memory of the late Thomas, and not because of rumours of any planned protest over the incident.

The report, however, said the Malaysian immigration department also confirmed on Friday, July 12, that the deceased was detained recently after he attempted to flee during a raid in Kuala Lumpur on July 4.

Despite having a valid student pass, Thomas was detained, because the officers claimed they were suspicious of his attempt to flee.

The immigration department claimed that Thomas told them he was not suffering from any illness at the time of his detention with 14 others and that an old wound of his was treated.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

The attention of an officer on duty was later called around 12.05am on July 9, by the other detainees that Thomas was having seizure in his sleep.

The immigration department said he died at 12.30am after a failed effort to medically handle the situation.

A full autopsy is currently being awaited by the immigration department to ascertain the cause of his death. earlier reported how the family and friends of a Nigerian man identified as Arthur Eze were thrown into mourning following his tragic death in Malaysia after nine years of living in the country.

Eze was said to have been killed during his recent visit to Nigeria. ( -> We have upgraded to serve you better.

Students drink contaminated water in govt approved school in Moro, Ogun state | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel