South African mob kills Nigerian man wrongly accused of kidnapping

South African mob kills Nigerian man wrongly accused of kidnapping

- Adetola Olubajo, the president of NUSA, has confirmed the killing of a 34 year-old Nigerian, Samuel Nkennaya, in South Africa

- Olubajo said another Nigerian, Chinonso Nwudo, is in critical condition in a hospital following mob attack

- Both men were attacked following accusations that they kidnapped a six year-old girl, who unknown to their attackers was Nwudo’s daughter

A 34 year-old Nigerian, Samuel Nkennaya, has been killed while another Nigerian, Chinonso Nwudo is in critical condition in a South African hospital following mob attack.

Victor Ayanfe-Oyebanjo, secretary of Mpumalanga Province branch of the Nigerian Union in South Africa (NUSA), made the disclosure in a statement made available to News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday, April 30.

He said Nkennaya and Nwudo were attacked following accusations that both men kidnapped Chinonye, a six year-old girl, who unknown to their attackers was Nwudo’s daughter.

READ ALSO: Jigawa declares readiness to pay N30,000 minimum wage

According to him, “It all started when Nwudo took his six-year-old daughter, Chinonye, to visit Nkennaya at White River town in the evening of April 27.

"Later, Nwudo and Nkennaya proceeded to buy food for Nwudo’s daughter, Chinonye, at KFC restaurant in the area."

Ayanfe-Oyebanjo said shortly after buying the food that some bystanders raised false alarm alleging that both men kidnapped the six year-old girl.

He said: "Thereafter, the community did not bother to ask questions and immediately mobbed the two Nigerians.

“While they were being attacked, Nwudo kept on shouting that the girl was his daughter and pleaded that they speak to his South African wife to confirm his claim – which actually saved his life. The police later intervened and called for backup to rescue the victims. Nkennaya died at the hospital on April 28, while Nwudo is in critical health condition."

Ayanfe-Oyebanjo said that a week before the incident that two South Africans were murdered for allegedly kidnapping a child in the same area. He said a murder case had been opened at the White River Police station and pleaded with Nigerians in the province to remain calm in the wake of the unprovoked attacks.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

He said: “The incident has been reported to NUSA’s national secretariat, while the union is currently seeking redress to ensure that the culprits were brought to book."

Speaking, the wife of Chinonso Nwudo, Katlekho Ndlovu, a South African national, also confirmed the incident on telephone from Mpumalanga Province.

According to her, Chinonye had been traumatised by the incident and was currently undergoing counselling in an undisclosed hospital.

She said: “They (attackers) did not bother to ask her anything and didn’t even bother to remove her from the scene before beating her dad (Nwudo) unconscious. Chinonye’s dad is in the hospital while her uncle (Nkennaya) is dead.”

Adetola Olubajo, the president of NUSA confirmed the killing.

Recall that Legit.ng reported that the Nigerians Citizens Association in South Africa (NICASA) said another Nigerian, Tony Elochukwu in Nnobi from Anambra state has been killed by an unidentified gunman in South Africa.

The president of NICASA, Prince Ben Okoli, said this in a letter sent to the Consular General, Nigerian Consulate in Johannesburg. Three Nigerians had been killed between April 6 and April 9 at different locations in the country.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Do you believe Nigeria is still the giant of Africa? on Legit.ng

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel