Conventionally, making new friends often involves getting to talk with them. For some people, doing that is easier said than done. How do you get to know your new friend? Well, worry no more. We have compiled a collection of questions to ask a new friend to know them better. These include family, career, personal, and profound questions about their life.
Here are some of the best questions to get the conversation between you and your new friend going.
The best questions to ask a new friend
What questions do you ask a new person? Your choice of conversation material goes a long way to determine whether or not the other person thinks you are interesting. Here are some excellent questions you can use to strike a conversation with a new person and get to know them better.
Basic questions to ask a new friend
Sometimes, the best conversation starters do not even have to be profound. They can be simple, basic questions. Here are some personal questions to get to know your new friend better.
PAY ATTENTION: Share your outstanding story with our editors! Please reach us through email@example.com!
- Are you a beach person or a camping person?
- Are you a light sleeper or a deep sleeper?
- Are you into podcasts? Who is your favourite podcaster?
- Do you enjoy cooking or ordering in?
- Do you enjoy listening to the radio?
- Do you enjoy political shows? Why or why not?
- Do you enjoy the crowds?
- When was the last time you went hiking?
- Which meal is your favourite: breakfast, lunch, or dinner?
- Who is your celebrity crush in Hollywood?
- Who knows you the best?
- Do you have a favourite holiday? Why or why not?
- Do you have a favourite type of exercise?
- Do you currently have a career mentor?
- What is one thing you will never do again?
- What was the last good book you read?
- Which was the last movie you went to?
- What was the last TV show you binge-watched?
- What is your favourite childhood memory?
- Do you have a favourite tradition in your family?
- What is your favourite game or sport to watch and play?
- What kitchen appliances do you use every day?
- What makes you laugh the most?
- What is the best thing you have ever done while on vacation?
- What would you call 'your song?'
- Is there something extremely valuable someone has ever told you?
- What is your go-to guilty pleasure?
- What is your happiest moment?
- Who do you feel is more important: friends or family?
- Is there one thing that immediately makes your day better?
- What is the most fascinating view outside your kitchen window?
- What is the best ice cream topping, in your opinion?
- Which part of the workday do you love most?
- Do you have a favourite quote from a film or television show?
- Which of the four seasons do you like the best?
- What do you consider the best sleeping position?
- What is your favourite fast-food chain?
- What is your favourite board game?
Family questions to ask new friends to get to know them
The family is, without a doubt, one of the essential units of society. Unsurprisingly, there are numerous family-related things you can talk about with your new friend. Here are some relevant questions about family to get the conversation going.
- Did you ever hide anything from or lie to your parents?
- Did your family move a lot when growing up?
- Did your parents help you get your first job?
- How as your life like growing up?
- What family on television most reminds you of your own?
- Which traits do you feel make your family members unique?
- Do you have nicknames for family members?
- Do you believe family reunions are essential?
- Have you ever gone on a family vacation?
- What is your favourite way to spend time with your family?
- Who do you think is cooler, your dad or your mum?
- Which family member do you confide in most?
- Which sibling are you the closest to and why?
- Do you want a family of your own?
- What is your favourite family recipe?
- What is your least favourite family tradition?
- What is your favourite family memory growing up?
- What do you look forward to most when visiting your family?
- Do you have a favourite holiday, and what makes it so special?
- What is something that none of your family members knows about you?
- Do you wish you had more siblings? If so, why?
- How do you deal with arguments between family members?
- How would you define your family now?
- Do you feel like the relationship between you and your parents has changed over time?
- How many siblings do you have?
- How often do you see your family?
- If you had a family business, what would it be?
- Is your family religious?
- Were you close with your family growing up?
- What does your child want to be when they grow up?
- What does your family think of your career?
Deep questions to ask a new friend
Here are some profound questions to ask new friends online or in person. These questions will help create conversations requiring well-thought answers or opinions, making them quite interesting.
- Are you introverted or extroverted?
- Do you believe in aliens?
- Do you ever wish you were raised differently?
- Do you know any of your family secrets?
- Have you ever had imposter syndrome?
- How often do you change your mind?
- Who would you want to play you in a movie of your life?
- What is your most prized possession, and why?
- What is your definition of a meaningful life?
- How would your 10-year-old self react to what you do now?
- If you had to describe yourself as an animal, which one would it be?
- Is there a question you want to ask me but have not because you are afraid of the answer?
- What is the best gift you have ever received?
- What are your pet peeves?
- What career advice would you give to your younger self?
- What do you think the most overrated holiday is?
- What is your favourite book?
- What would be the first thing you'd do if you won the lottery?
- What would instantly calm you down if you were nervous?
- What would you be willing to give up or sacrifice to achieve your dreams?
- Do you have a favourite author? What makes him/her so special?
- Who do you most like spending time with and why?
- When will you know you have 'made it'?
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
- Who has had the most significant impact on your career choice?
- Who is the most intelligent person you know?
Fun questions to ask new friends
Most times, the best way to break the ice and get to know a new person better is by engaging them in fun conversations. Here are some fun questions to ask a new friend and get to know them better.
- Did you enjoy your teens or your twenties?
- Do you like five-year or ten-year plans?
- Do you like going to movies or prefer watching at home?
- Do you love or hate rollercoasters?
- Do you sleep with a top sheet? Why or why not?
- Do you believe in the existence of ghosts?
- Have you ever disliked something and then changed your mind?
- Have you ever enjoyed eating the crusts on your sandwich at any point in your life?
- Have you ever travelled to Africa or Australia? If not, are they on your bucket list?
- How do you take your coffee?
- How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?
- How many genres of music do you enjoy?
- Are there other languages you can speak besides your mother tongue?
- How often do you exercise?
- Ideally, how would you spend your birthday?
- If you could choose to do anything for a day, what would it be?
- If you could have any exotic animal as a pet, which would it be?
- Which music group would join if given a chance?
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- If you had to get a tattoo right now, what tattoo would you choose?
- Is there anything that you cannot leave the house without?
- On a scale of 1-10, how introverted would you say you are?
- Should work best friends be a thing for everyone?
- What are the three apps on your phone that you check daily?
- What are your hobbies, and how did you get into them?
Career-related questions to ask someone new
Here are some good questions to ask new friends about their workplace, workmates, career life, and aspirations. Like the family, a person's work-life often forms as an essential part of their day-to-day activities, making it an extremely wide conversation topic.
- Do you have any regrets regarding your choice of career?
- What is your opinion on workaholics?
- Are you good at networking?
- Are you looking forward to retiring, or do you plan to work as long as possible?
- Are you more of a work-to-live or a live-to-work type of person?
- Can you name two shockers you encountered when you first started working at your current gig?
- Do you find it okay for bosses to be too friendly to their subordinates?
- Do you think you deserve a raise at work?
- Does your job make you feel happy and fulfilled? Why or why not?
- Growing up, did you think you would end up in this career?
- Have you ever made arch enemies at work?
- How do you balance your social life and professional life?
- How do you relax after a long day at work?
- How do you like spending your weekend?
- How do you pick yourself back up after making a mistake at work?
- How do you push yourself to be better at what you do?
- How long do you think you will stay at your current gig?
- How many side hustles can you handle with your current position at work?
- How old were you when you started working?
- Name one thing you have learned at your current workplace.
- Was your first job the ideal first job?
- What is the one thing you like the least about your workplace?
- What did you hate most about your first job?
- What did you like most about your first job?
- What were your career aspirations when you were younger?
- What is your favourite pastime when going to and from work?
- What do you enjoy most about your current job?
- What qualities do you look for in a boss?
- What role would you want to have after your current one?
- What was the inspiration in your current field of work?
- What was your first job?
- What is the best career decision you have ever made?
- What is the career highlight you're most proud of?
- What is the worst work-related decision you have ever made?
- What is the worst job you have ever had?
- What is the one career-related thing you would want to accomplish this year?
- What is the best career advice you have ever heard?
- What is the worst career advice you have ever received?
- Would you change careers now if given a chance?
The above collection of questions to ask a new friend is quite diverse and should have something for most friendship levels. You never have to run out of conversation material again. Which category of questions did you find fascinating?
Legit.ng recently explored the top funny numbers you can call when bored at home. Every once in a while, it is easy to get stuck at home because of unfavourable weather, a lack of funds, or any other reason. Luckily, there are numerous phone numbers you can dial for some fun.
Some of the numbers have automated messages on the other end; others are just wacky, while others can be used to prank your friends.