- The top five highest-paid presidents in Africa earn a combined amount of over US$1.7 million annually.
- Paul Biya of Cameroon remains the highest paid president in the continent with over US$620,000 yearly.
- Buhari is missing from the top five which is dominated by leaders from Morocco, South Africa, kenya and Uganda
African leaders are paid handsomely even though the continent is still developing.
There affluent lifestyles, huge allowances and medical cover also comes with pay package with numerous allowances.
This is why politicians do all they can to occupy the exalted offices in the countries.
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
The report used data from various African countries websites and data from organisations such as the International Monetary Fund and the CIA World Factbook.
Here are the top five highest-paid(monthly) African leaders
- Paul Biya of Cameroon – US$620,976
- King Mohammed IV of Morocco - US$488,604
- Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa - US$223,500
- Uhuru Kenyatta of Kenya - US$192,200
- Yoweri Kaguta Museveni of Uganda - US$183,216
What the report said about the Top 3 earners
Paul Biya is a Cameroonian politician serving as the president of Cameroon since 6 November 1982. He is the second-longest-ruling president in Africa, the longest-ruling non-royal leader in the world, and the oldest head of state in Africa.
His Majesty King Mohammed VI is the current king of Morocco. He ascended to the throne on 23 July 1999 upon the death of his father, King Hassan II.
His palace's daily operating budget is reported by Forbes to be $960,000—which is paid by the Moroccan state as part of a 2.576 billion Dirhams/year budget as of 2014—owing much of it to the expense of personnel, clothes, and car repairs.
Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa is a South African businessman and politician who serves as the fifth president of South Africa since 2018 and president of the African National Congress since 2017.
He is known to be one of the richest people in South Africa, with an estimated net worth of more than $450 million and has appeared in financial magazines such as Forbes Africa and Bloomberg.
Other president in the top 15
6. Abdelmadjid Tebboune, Algeria - $168,000
7. Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, Equatorial Guinea -$152,680
8. Emmerson Mnangagwa, Zimbabwe - $146,590
9. Denis Sassou, Republic of Congo - $108,400
10. Alassane Ouattara, Ivory Coast - $100,000
11. George Weah, Liberia- $90,000
12. Paul Kagame, Rwanda -$85,000
13. Nana Akufo-Addo, Ghana - $76,000
14. Lazarus Chakwera, Malawi - $74,300
15. Muhammadu Buhari, Nigeria - $69,000
Buhari appoints former lawmaker to take up senior aide’s position
Ila will replace Umar El-Yakub, who was recently appointed minister. The new appointee is a chartered accountant and former member of the House of Representatives between 2011 and 2015.
His appointment was announced in a statement by Buhari’s spokesperson, Garba Shehu, on Sunday, July 24.