Gunmen Kill Over 30 In Attack On Wedding Convoy
A bridegroom, family members and friends were said to be among 30 persons killed yesterday in an attack by insurgents believed to be members of Boko Haram in Michika local government area of Adamawa State.
The victims, eyewitnesses said, were returning from a wedding Fatiha in Michika town when they ran into an ambush laid by the insurgents.
The incident, it was learnt, happened along Bama-Banki-Firgi highway.
One of the eyewitnesses, a motorist, recounted, "I travelled on Adamawa-Michika–Bama-Maiduguri road. When we reached a place in the Firgi area, we saw many bodies many of which were riddled with bullets while some were covered in blood having been slaughtered beside the road. My passengers advised we should return to Michika, but I told them God was in control".
The driver, who did not wish to be named, said many of the victims appeared to have suffered gunshot wounds.
"It was a gory scene and all the victims were brutally murdered by the attackers. My passengers and I were visibly shocked when we met the dead bodies lying by the highway," he said.
A source in one of the federal owned hospitals in Maiduguri said: "We have received the bodies of over 30 people suspected to have been killed while coming from a wedding Fatiha as most of them wore same wedding uniforms (Anko in Hausa) on Saturday evening, but we are are yet to ascertain who are those behind such a deadly attack."
Spokesman for the 7 Division, Nigerian Army, Lt. Colonel Mohammed Dole, and the Borno State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP, Gideon Jubrin could not be reached for confirmation of the attack at the time of going to press.
A security source, though, described the incident as "brutal and callous," and said the bodies had been transferred to a hospital in Maiduguri.