In a consolidated effort towards ensuring that all the SIM cards are linked with the national identity card, the federal government has announced that telecoms subscribers can now link up to seven SIMs with the National Identification Number (NIN).
Through the directive issued by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), the federal government said the seven SIMs-NIN linkage can be done through the mobile app.
It would be recalled that Ikechukwu Adinde, NCC director of public affairs, on Tuesday, December 15, in a statement in Abuja proclaimed that Nigerians must update and link their data with telecoms companies with NIN.
Adinde said the new rule applies to new SIM cards, stressing that sim not linked with NIN would be disconnected in two weeks time which is January 2021.
The federal government, however, on Tuesday, January 19, said the submission and integration have now been extended to Tuesday, February 9, maintaining that SIMs not linked with NIN will be detached.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng analyses how to link seven (7) SIMS with NIN via the NIMC app.
- If you get the NIMC App for your phone, log in with your six-digit pin
- But if you don't have the App, visit Google Play store to download it for Android phones or visit Apple App store if you are an iPhone user. Then follow these steps to register.
- Once you log in and your user ID has opened, then click on my devices
- Add the phone number that you want to link with your NIN
- You will receive SMS which will be your digital ID authentication code, It is six numbers
- Input the number to complete the process
- Repeat the same process for as many numbers you want to link with your NIN.
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) said it is planning to make the NIN a prerequisite for the voters' registration exercise.
According to the electoral commission, this will help to tackle the problem of underage voting in some parts of the country.
Speaking with The Punch, one of the national commissioners at INEC whose name was not given made this disclosure, adding that the final decision would soon be reached and officially announced to the public.
NIMC: Amidst Covid19 spike, crowd gathers for NIN registration - on Legit TV