- Army chief Taiwo said most of those whose businesses were wrecked by hoodlums during the EndSARS protest were Igbos
- The army general put to rest some claims that had been making the rounds that the hoodlums who wreaked the havoc were Igbos
- The claims were said to have been made by a Yoruba group Apapo O’Odua Koya (AOKOYA)
The Nigerian Army has said that the businesses mostly attacked by hoodlums that hijacked the initially peaceful EndSARS protest belonged to Igbos.
This confirmation was made on Saturday, November 14 by Brigadier- General Ahmed Ibrahim Taiwo.
The army general was making a video presentation to the Lagos judiciary panel set up to investigate the Lekki shooting and other issues.
He was before the panel to testify on behalf of the Nigerian Army on the Lekki shooting incident.
Taiwo's words are contrary to recent claims in some quarters that Igbo youths were behind the looting and destruction.
Legit.ng reported in October that the Ohanaeze Ndigbo denied allegations that some Igbo youths are behind the destruction of assets owned by Yoruba indigenes during the EndSARS protest, especially in Lagos state.
The allegation was made in a statement released by a southwest group known as the Apapo O’Odua Koya (AOKOYA).
The pan-Igbo group also denied that Igbo youths carried out the attack on the palace of the Oba of Lagos.
Some hoodlums had stormed the traditional ruler's abode and made away with his staff of office among other things.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng also reported earlier that the Nigerian Army backed Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu's decision to call in soldiers to maintain the peace after hoodlums reportedly hijacked peaceful protests.
The army's position was also made known by Brigadier-General Taiwo.
The army general said this on Saturday while presenting footages of the Lekki shooting incident to panellists.
EndSARS: Are you willing to join another round of protests? | Legit TV