Nigerian army graduates 601 former Boko Haram insurgents in Gombe

Nigerian army graduates 601 former Boko Haram insurgents in Gombe

- 601 ex-Boko Haram members who underwent rehabilitation training recently graduated

- Coordinator of Operation Safe Corridor, Brigadier Bamidele Shafa, said the former insurgents graduated at the DRR camp in Gombe

- Shafa noted that graduates were made up of 592 Nigerians while 14 are foreign nationals

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

About 601 former Boko Haram fighters have graduated at the DRR camp of Operation Safe Corridor in Mallam Sidi, Gombe state.

This was disclosed by Major General Bamidele Shafa, the Coordinator of Operation Safe Corridor, on Saturday, July 25.

The Nation reports that the batch 4 members arrived at the camp back in November and December 2019. The former fighters comprise of 592 Nigerians from 10 states and 14 foreign nationals from Cameroon, Chad, and Niger.

Nigerian striker scores 2 goals to help top European club stretch their unbeaten run to 9 games

Unfortunately, three out of this number died of health complications while one was referred to the Neuro-psychiatric Hospital in Maiduguri for further medical treatment.

Nigerian army graduates 601 former Boko Haram insurgents in Gombe

Former Boko Haram combatants graduate at DRR camp in Gombe. Photo Credit: The Nation/UGC
Source: UGC

The programme coordinator went on to note that one was withdrawn on disciplinary ground and transferred for re-categorization and prosecution.

“On arrival at the camp, the clients went through documentation processes to obtain vital background information after which they were subjected to comprehensive medical screening to determine their health status,” he said.

It would be recalled that the military had in 2016 launched Operation Safe Corridor, an initiative for the deradicalisation and rehabilitation of ex-Boko Haram members with the aim of reintegrating repentant insurgents into society.

Nigerian army graduates 601 former Boko Haram insurgents in Gombe

The former fighters comprise of 592 Nigerians and 14 foreign nationals.Photo Credit: The Nation/UGC
Source: UGC

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that some residents in Borno state have kicked against the reintegration of repentant Boko Haram members into the communities.

Kogi guber: Huge number of APC aspirants is due to my efforts, says Gov Bello

According to a report by TheCable, in July, 602 ex-Boko Haram members were said to have completed a de-radicalisation, rehabilitation and reintegration programme.

“From day one, Maiduguri people have never liked the idea of reintegrating the terrorists back to the community. The reason is simple. It means they are likely to come in contact with people who slaughtered members of their family and friends in their presence and they are expected not to think about it?” one of the residents was quoted to have said.

In a related development, forty-seven members of Boko Haram/Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) insurgent groups have surrendered to troops of the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) in the Lake Chad and surrounding areas.

A spokesperson for the MNJTF N’Djamena – Chad, Col Timothy Antigha, in a statement on Friday, July 24, disclosed that the insurgents surrendered with their families recently in Sector 1 of the MNJTF.

Before an officer searches you, search the officer first - Police give 14 tips on arrest

Antigha said the terrorists were prompted to surrender following the power tussle in the top ranks of the insurgent groups and the failure to establish a caliphate.

Soldiers have killed 92 Boko Haram members in the past week - Major General Enenche | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel