Imagine living in a world where everyone does as they please without considering anyone else. It would be chaotic. Doing the right thing is what brings structure and stability both into our lives and the entire community. Discipline quotes often remind us to be well-behaved people who make society a better place for everyone.
What is the real meaning of discipline? It is a word drawn from the Latin word disciplina, which means training and instruction. It is a way of making human beings obey rules and set behavioral standards. Usually, there is a form of punishment if one fails to follow. Discipline quotes, therefore, remind us to observe specific behavioral standards and rules.
Awesome discipline quotes
This compilation of quotes on discipline is a good way of reminding us all to observe the rules and behavioral standards that are set in society. As we strive to be better people, we must also not forget to take a break whenever necessary to reward ourselves when we make some progress.
Top quotes about discipline
Learning to obey rules requires one to know their shortcomings, have clear goals and targets in life, and develop new habits gradually. Good behavior is associated with more success in life. Some famous people in various fields uttered words of wisdom on this subject, including the following:
- Discipline starts every day when the first alarm clock goes off in the morning. I say 'first alarm clock' because I have three, as I was taught by one of the most feared and respected instructors in SEAL training: one electric, one battery-powered, one windup. – Jocko Willink
- It doesn't matter whether you are pursuing success in business, sports, the arts, or life in general: The bridge between wishing and accomplishing is discipline. – Harvey Mackay
- Success isn't measured by money or power or social rank. Success is measured by your discipline and inner peace. – Mike Ditka
- Discipline is based on pride, on meticulous attention to details, and on mutual respect and confidence. It must be a habit so ingrained that it is stronger than the excitement of the goal or the fear of failure. – Gary Ryan Blair
- There is one thing that gets you out of bed in the morning, and that is discipline. Because your dreams and your goals are not there waking up for you in the morning. – Jocko Willink
- It takes a lot of discipline to become and stay champion. It also takes a lot of discipline to stop while still feeling that you're in the best physical and mental shape of your life, but I've always planned to leave the sport when I'm at the top and in good health. – Georges St-Pierre
- Freedom is what everyone wants - to be able to act and live with freedom. But the only way to get to a place of freedom is through discipline. – Jocko Willink
- Discipline is tough for a guy who is a rebel. – Jonathan Winters
- Discipline in art is a fundamental struggle to understand oneself, as much as to understand what one is drawing. – Henry Moore
- My message to you all is of hope, courage, and confidence. Let us mobilize all our resources in a systematic and organized way and tackle the grave issues that confront us with grim determination and discipline worthy of a great nation. – Muhammad Ali Jinnah
Self discipline quotes
Quotes on self discipline teach us about various techniques we can use to control and motivate ourselves to do the right things even if no one is watching. By avoiding procrastination, we develop this skill, and here are some wise words to remind us so:
- Self-discipline is a form of freedom. Freedom from laziness and lethargy, freedom from the expectations and demands of others, freedom from weakness and fear – and doubt. It allows a person to feel his individuality, his inner strength, his talent. He is the master of, rather than a slave to, his thoughts and emotions. – H. A. Dorfman
- Self-discipline equates to self-control. Your ability to control yourself and your actions, control what you say and do, and ensure that your behaviors are consistent with long-term goals and objectives is the mark of a superior person. – Brian Tracy
- Happiness is dependent on self-discipline. We are the biggest obstacles to our own happiness. It is much easier to do battle with society and with others than to fight our own nature. – Dennis Prager
- Discipline is just doing the same thing the right way, whether anyone's watching or not. – Michael J. Fox
- The discipline you learn and character you build from setting and achieving a goal can be more valuable than the achievement of the goal itself. – Bo Bennett
- You need to constantly remind yourself what is the most important thing that is happening in the world - what is the most important thing that is happening in history. The discipline to have this focus is something I gained from meditation. – Yuval Noah Harari
- I have a discipline that has served me very well in my career and in my personal life... and that's gotten stronger as I've gotten older. I've always felt if I don't just have a natural knack for it, I will just out-discipline the competition if I have to - work harder than anybody else. – Ryan Reynolds
- Each day, and the living of it, has to be a conscious creation in which discipline and order are relieved with some play and pure foolishness. – May Sarton
- Running taught me valuable lessons. In cross-country competition, training counted more than intrinsic ability, and I could compensate for a lack of natural aptitude with diligence and discipline. I applied this in everything I did. – Nelson Mandela
- To most people, paranoia carries a negative connotation. I believe it is one of the most valuable attributes a leader can have. It is about self-reflection and having the courage, humility, and discipline to constantly ask uncomfortable questions that can potentially poke holes in your strategy and challenge your conventional thinking. – Dinesh Paliwal
Religious quotes of discipline
God gave human beings some rules that govern our behavior. For Christians, these are the Ten Commandments, while Muslims have the Sharia Law.
Other religions also have certain behavioral standards, and here are some quotes that remind us about the strong link between God and proper behavior:
- Sacrifice, discipline, and prayer are essential. We gain strength through God's word. We receive grace from the sacrament. And when we fumble due to sin - and it's gonna happen - confession puts us back on the field. – Lou Holtz
- Islam really brought a discipline to my life that I didn't really have before. My old mindset was if they ain't helping me, I ain't helping them, but you can't live life that way. – Dave East
- God has equipped you to handle difficult things. In fact, He has already planted the seeds of discipline and self-control inside you. You just have to water those seeds with His Word to make them grow! – Joyce Meyer
- With faith, discipline, and selfless devotion to duty, there is nothing worthwhile that you cannot achieve. – Muhammad Ali Jinnah
- Discipline means to prevent everything in your life from being filled up. It means that somewhere you're not occupied, and certainly not preoccupied. In the spiritual life, it means to create that space in which something can happen that you hadn't planned or counted on. – Henri Nouwen
- Live your life while you have it. Life is a splendid gift. There is nothing small in it. Far the greatest things grow by God's law out of the smallest. But to live your life, you must discipline it. – Florence Nightingale
- I think you can judge from somebody's actions a kind of a stability and sense of purpose perhaps created by strong religious roots. I mean, there's a certain patience, a certain discipline, I think, that religion helps you achieve. – George W. Bush
- The Bible is clear that those who fail to heed the Lord's discipline - whether nations, cities, or individuals - suffer devastating consequences. – Charles Stanley
- Christianity began as a religion of the poor and dispossessed - farmers, fishermen, Bedouin shepherds. There's a great lure to that kind of simplicity and rigor - the discipline, the call to action. – Camille Paglia
- The gospel is not a philosophy of repression, as so many regard it. It is a plan of freedom that gives discipline to appetite and direction to behavior. – Gordon B. Hinckley
Discipline quotes for students
The ultimate goal of students is to succeed in their academics as well as in their future endeavors. Learners often need words of encouragement to help them stay on track.
Studying is not always easy as there are numerous distractions. Here are some fantastic quotes that remind them to remain focused on their academics and other goals in life:
- I believed in studying just because I knew education was a privilege. It was the discipline of study, to get into the habit of doing something that you don't want to do. – Wynton Marsalis
- It sounds simple telling people to work hard and never quit, but to really execute and demonstrate those principles takes discipline and faith. Those are the two factors that I believe separate the good from the great, the successes from the failures. – Nipsey Hussle
- Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers. It may not be difficult to store up in the mind a vast quantity of facts within a comparatively short time, but the ability to form judgments requires the severe discipline of hard work and the tempering heat of experience and maturity. – Calvin Coolidge
- Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me, it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly. – Julie Andrews
- Talent without discipline is like an octopus on roller skates. There's plenty of movement, but you never know if it's going to be forward, backwards, or sideways. – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- Education must lead us from the irresponsible opinion to true responsible judgment. It must lead us from chance and arbitrariness to rational clarity and intellectual order. Therefore, let us guide our students over the road of discipline from materials, through function, to creative work. – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
- Success is not a matter of mastering subtle, sophisticated theory but rather of embracing common sense with uncommon levels of discipline and persistence. – Patrick Lencioni
- Discipline is knowing what you're supposed to do and doing it as best you can... On third down and short yardage, the Raiders don't jump offside. That's it - not a coat and tie, not a clean shave. – John Madden
- When I was younger, I thought you had to be in control of your own life. That takes a lot of discipline, hard work, and focus. You just can't let it all fall by the wayside. Later on, I learned that God is really in control of everything. But you still have to put your best foot forward and be the best you can possibly be. – Janet Jackson
- The young athlete who aspires to greatness, generally speaking, learns a number of things from several different coaches. The first one taught him the fundamentals; the second one instilled discipline in him and taught him more of the techniques that must be mastered to excel. – Zig Ziglar
Discipline quotes for children and parents
In the typical scenario, parents have the responsibility of raising children who obey rules and adhere to certain behavioral standards. Most parents can attest to the fact that this is often a challenging task.
However, with love, support, and understanding, both parents and children can help each other to become holistic members of society as these quotes remind us:
- There are certain characteristics that define a good chimp mother. She is patient, she is protective, but she is not over-protective - that is really important. She is tolerant, but she can impose discipline. She is affectionate. She plays. And the most important of all: she is supportive. – Jane Goodall
- My mom's discipline worked out perfectly. I wouldn't change a thing. – will.i.am
- You have to give them unconditional love. They need to know that even if they screw up, you love them. You don't want them to grow up and resent you or, even worse, parent the way you parented them. – Alfie Kohn
- People don't become obese overnight. Allowing our children to have treats in moderation - as in trick-or-treating - is one thing, but good nutrition involves discipline that must be learned and practiced on a daily basis. – Amy Klobuchar
- My mother and father were partisan national heroes: I learned sacrifice and discipline from them and that a private life is not as important as the message you want to leave. – Marina Abramovic
- To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind, he can find the way to enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him. – Buddha
- In every new generation, the impulses supposed to have been rooted out by discipline in the child break forth again when the struggle for existence - of the individual in society, of the society in the life of the state - begins. These passions are not transformed by the prevalent education of the day, but only repressed. – Ellen Key
- The age in which we live, this non-stop distraction, is making it more impossible for the young generation to ever have the curiosity or discipline... because you need to be alone to find out anything. – Vivienne Westwood
- Discipline may be identified neither with an institution nor with an apparatus; it is a type of power, a modality for its exercise, comprising a whole set of instruments, techniques, procedures, levels of application, targets; it is a 'physics' or 'anatomy' of power, a technology. –Michel Foucault
- I think there's some connection between absolute discipline and absolute freedom. – Alan Rickman
What is the role of discipline in our life?
The importance of discipline in society lies in maintaining a peaceful and harmonious community. It also establishes some structure in our personal lives.
Moreover, it enhances mental health, increases our focus on the goals we have set out to accomplish, and fosters the development of a positive attitude in life. At the end of the day, it places us in a better position for success.
For any human being to become grounded in life, they need to hold themselves accountable for their actions and do the things that occur naturally to them. They must also not over-think things, learn how to schedule work, and, most importantly, have achievable goals.
The importance of discipline in social life cannot be overlooked as it shapes and stabilizes the community in which we live. Discipline quotes remind us that we create a better world by obeying certain rules and behaviors that help us to achieve personal goals and to live well with those around us.