COVID-19: Nigerian govt orders release of 70% inmates

COVID-19: Nigerian govt orders release of 70% inmates

- All hands are on deck to ensure Nigeria contains the spread of coronavirus in the country

- The federal government has concluded plans to release 70 per cent of the detainees in Nigeria's correctional centres

- State governors are expected to visit the custodial centres in their states and grant amnesty to deserving inmates

As part of measures to reduce the spread of coronavirus, the Nigerian government has directed the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS) to release all awaiting trial inmates in its custody.

Legit.ng gathered that awaiting trial inmates account for 70 per cent of the detainees in Nigeria's correctional centres.

Minister of interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola who gave the directive, said the move is to prevent the ravaging coronavirus from spreading into the correctional centres.

COVID-19: Nigerian govt orders release of 70% inmates

Nigeria's minister of interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola gave the directive on behalf of the government.
Source: Facebook

PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update

In a statement spokesman of the ministry, Mohammed Manga, Aregbesola revealed that the directive was informed by the decision of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, to avoid a worst-case scenario in the event of the centres being infected by the virus.

He added that the measure is aimed at ensuring the safety of the inmates, members of staff of the Nigeria Correctional Service and other Nigerians.

At the request of the federal government, state governors are expected to visit the custodial centres in their states with the chief judges and state attorneys-general, to consider and grant amnesty to deserving inmates.

The government had last week closed the country's international airports to ensure those from high-risk countries do not find their way into Nigeria.

The government also announced the closure of all land borders for four weeks as part of its lockdown measures.

Meanwhile, the federal government has alerted Nigerians to the existence of an android-based malicious and fraudulent coronavirus ransomware application.

Minister of information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed raised the alarm via a press statement on Tuesday, March 24.

Mohammed said the application claims to provide updates on the virus and infections near the user, warning that it is fake.

In a related development, the government has through the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), suspended all enrolment activities and other ancillary services across Nigeria.

The NIMC said the safety of all Nigerians coming for enrolment as well as that of its staff is a priority at the moment.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better

Coronavirus: Nigeria's health minister speaks on chloroquine as cure for COVID-19 | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel