Orlando Bloom is an English actor best known for his role as the arrow-wielding elf, Legolas, in The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Bloom’s success in the critically acclaimed trilogy opened doors for him in the film industry. The actor has since appeared in numerous top films, casting him further into the limelight. Besides acting, Orlando’s personal life has also been the subject of much attention.
How old is Orlando Bloom? The actor was born on 13th January 1977 in Canterbury, Kent, England. Orlando Bloom age is currently forty-two years. His step-father, Harry, was an author, lawyer and, human rights activist. Bloom’s mother, Sonia, managed a foreign languages school. Harry Bloom lived in South Africa before relocating to England. He was a fierce anti-apartheid campaigner fighting against the then prevalent racial segregation. Harry passed on in 1981 when Orlando was four years old. The actor’s biological father is Colin Stone.
Orlando Bloom profile summary
- Name: Orlando Jonathan Blanchard Bloom
- Nickname: Orli
- Date of birth: 13th January 1977
- Age: 42 years
- Profession: Actor and film producer
- Height: 5 feet 11 inches
- Weight: 77 kilos
- Eye colour: Dark brown
- Birthplace: Canterbury, Kent, England
- Zodiac sign: Capricorn
- Nationality: British
- Father: Colin Stone
- Step-father: Harry Bloom
- Mother: Sonia Constance Josephine Copeland
- Siblings: Steve, Peter, and Samantha
- Religion: Buddhism
- Ethnicity: White English
- Net worth: $35 million
Orlando Bloom young years
At the age of thirteen, Orlando learned that Harry Bloom was not his birth father. The actor’s father, Colin Stone (and Samantha’s too), was a long-time family friend to the Blooms. The actor recounts how he always thought Colin was only a family friend.
The talented actor was named after his mother’s favourite composer, Orlando Gibbons. Sonia’s love for the arts made her encourage Samantha and Orlando to attend Bible reading and drama classes. The siblings soon began reading out poetry and stories in local festivals and competitions. This early exposure to theatre helped develop Orlando’s love for acting.
- Bloom wears several trinkets and charms around his neck. These include a silver ball from Japan, an Indian prayer baton, a Thai shell and a keyring given to him by his favourite actor, Johnny Depp.
- The actor is a talented sculptor. He learned the art in sculpting school and has hopes of running his sculpting studio someday.
- Bloom and other members of the ‘fellowship of the ring’ from the epic trilogy, The Lord of the Rings, are quite close. The nine members became a very close-knit family while filming in New Zealand that they decided to get tattoos. Bloom has the number nine tattoo in the Elvish language.
- Orlando considers himself quite prone to accidents. To date, he has broken his nose, both legs, a wrist and even had his toe crushed by a horse. He has fractured his skull a few times too.
Orlando joined the National Youth Theatre in London at the age of sixteen after leaving St. Edmunds. After a few seasons, the actor got a scholarship to join the British American Drama Academy. He later studied at the prestigious Guildhall School of Music and Drama for three years. The school is renowned for training various famous actors such as Ben Chaplin, Ewan McGregor, and Joseph Fiennes. In 1988, the actor was cast in a minor role in the film Wilde. The one-line part marked his first appearance in a movie.
At the age of twenty-one, Orlando fell from the third floor of a building and broke his back. However, after months of rehabilitation and having to wear a back brace, the actor recovered and returned to his regular acting life. In 1999, he received the news that he had been chosen to join the cast of the epic film trilogy, The Lord of the Rings. The films were based on novels by renowned author J.R.R. Tolkien.
Orlando Bloom films
The actor has appeared in numerous films throughout his career. Here are the most notable ones.
The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001-2003)
After recovering from his back injury, Orlando was cast to play Legolas Greenleaf. The actor was hoping to play Faramir, a human character in the trilogy. Legolas, an elf warrior, was one of the main characters in the trilogy. The films tell the story of nine warriors (an elf, a wizard, a dwarf, two humans, and four hobbits). The nine form a fellowship to save the mythical from destruction by evil forces.
The films were filmed in New Zealand over a two-year period. While filming, the nine ‘warriors’ became very close. Orlando often spent his free time surfing, snowboarding and bungee jumping. Other cast members considered him the group’s ‘daredevil.’ The films were released over three years. The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King were released in 2001, 2002 and 2003 respectively.
The three films broke box office records and received favourable reviews from audiences and critics. Orlando won the Best Debut Award at the 2002 Empire Awards for his role as Legolas. The actor also won the Breakthrough Male Award at the 2002 MTV Movie Awards. Around the time of the trilogy’s release, Orlando garnered a massive following all over the world. Before the release of The Two Towers, there were numerous Orlando Bloom websites.
Black Hawk Down (2001)
Orlando was cast in a minor role in this Ridley Scott film. He was still working on the filming of The Fellowship of the Ring at this time. In Black Hawk Down, Orlando played an army ranger who falls from a helicopter and breaks his back. The film tells the story of the 1993 Battle of Mogadishu. The actor’s role in the film was essential and earned Orlando high praise from fans. His career was beginning to take shape. At the young age of twenty-three, the actor had appeared in two of the top films in 2001.
Ned Kelly (2003)
After his challenging role as Legolas, Orlando continued to appear in roles that challenged him physically. In 2003, the actor co-starred in the film, Ned Kelly, an action thriller about a disreputable outlaw from Australia. Heath Ledger played the role of Kelly, while Orlando played Joe, one of the supporting characters and a member of Kelly’s gang.
Pirates of the Caribbean (2003-2017)
In 2003, Bloom landed what is perhaps his second-biggest role to date. He was cast to play Will Turner in four of the five movies in the Disney film series, Pirates of the Caribbean. The first of the five-film series was titled Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. The film followed Captain Jack Sparrow and the governor’s daughter, Elizabeth, who was in possession of a valuable coin. Bloom’s character, Will, is a blacksmith-turned-pirate. Fans were treated to Orlando’s first on-screen romance (with Elizabeth) in this 2003 film.
Orlando got to act alongside his favourite actor, Johnny Depp in the Pirates of the Caribbean films. Depp plays the films’ lead role of the notorious pirate, Jack Sparrow.
In 2004, Orlando landed another role involving swords and daggers. He was cast to play Paris, the Prince of Troy. The actor worked alongside Brad Pitt in the film. Troy tells the story of the legendary Trojan War. Paris ignites a war between the kingdoms of Troy and Sparta when he falls in love with Helen, the queen of Sparta and takes her to Troy. Agamemnon takes that as an excuse to invade Troy and exert control of the Aegean Sea.
The Calcium Kid (2004)
In 2004, the actor felt the need for appearing in more profound roles. He took on the role of Jimmy Connelly, an amateur boxer who defeats Great Britain’s greatest boxer, Pete Wright, in a fluke. When Wright injures his arm, Connelly is picked to represent Great Britain in an upcoming championship. The Calcium Kid tells Connelly’s story from being a nervous milkman to fighting a boxing champion. Around this time, Orlando also appeared in the films Kingdom of Heaven and Haven.
The Hobbit (2013-2014)
The actor appeared as the bow-and-arrow wielding character Legolas in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014). Legolas does not appear in the Hobbit novels upon which the two films are based. However, director Pete Jackson felt that bringing in the character would make perfect sense.
Here are other notable films in which the actor has appeared, the years of release and Bloom’s roles:
- Digging For Fire (2015): Ben
- Elizabethtown (2005): Drew Baylor
- Main Street (2010): Harris Parker
- New York, I Love You (2008): David Cooler
- Sympathy for Delicious (2010): The Stain
- The Good Doctor (2011): Dr. Martin Blake
- The Three Musketeers (2011): Duke of Buckingham
- Unlocked (2017): Jack Alcott
Orlando Bloom wife
In January 2016, Bloom began dating popular singer, Katy Perry. However, the Katy Perry Orlando Bloom relationship did not last long. In 2017, the two separated after disagreements regarding settling down. Katy reportedly wanted to settle down and start a family, but Bloom did not. In March 2018, the Orlando Bloom Katy Perry relationship resumed.
Orlando Bloom and Katy Perry announced their engagement on social media on 14th February 2019. Before his relationship with Katy, Orlando had been in relationships with other people. Here are some of his notable previous relationships:
- Nina Dobrev: Orlando and Nina were allegedly in a relationship in 2014. Nina is a Canadian-Bulgarian actress who played Mia Jones on the television series Degrassi: The Next Generation.
- Selena Gomez: In 2014, the actor was photographed together with Selena hinting at a possible relationship. However, the relationship was never officially confirmed. Selena is a renowned American singer and actress.
- Condola Rashad: Condola is an actress who co-starred with Bloom on the 2013 Broadway play, Romeo & Juliet. The two were allegedly in a romantic relationship in 2014.
- Carolina Guerra: In 2013, Orlando was rumored to be dating the Colombian model. Guerra is also an actress and television personality. She once represented her country’s capital as Miss Bogotá.
- Liv Tyler: The actor allegedly dated Lord of the Rings co-star, Liv Tyler in 2013. Liv’s father, Steven Tyler, is Aerosmith’s lead singer.
- Miranda Kerr: Kerr and Bloom got married in 2010. They got their first child (Flynn) in 2011 and later separated in 2013. Not long after their separation, the two were divorced.
- Helena Christensen: Bloom was rumoured to have dated the Danish model in 2003. Helena is also a former Victoria’s Secret Angel.
- Kate Bosworth: Kate is an American model, jewellery designer, and actress. Orlando and Kate are said to have dated from 2002 to 2006. Bosworth is known for her roles in Beyond the Sea, Blue Crush and Superman Returns.
Orlando Bloom son
The actor has a son named Flynn Christopher Bloom from his marriage with Miranda Kerr. Flynn was born in 2011. Bloom shares pictures of his son on social media occasionally. From the images posted on social media, it seems that young Flynn has been learning to snowboard.
Orlando Bloom paddle board saga
The actor recently spoke out about his paddle-boarding saga. In 2016, Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom were pictured paddle-boarding off the coast of Sardinia. In the pictures which later did rounds on the internet, the actor was stark naked kneeling on the paddle board behind Katy. Comments related to Bloom’s significantly huge ‘endowment’ followed the release of the images.
While commenting about the incident, the actor downplayed the size of his ‘endowment’ blaming it on an optical illusion from the camera.
Orlando Bloom net worth
The actor’s net worth is currently estimated at $40 million. A significant portion of this has come from his earnings from film and television roles.
Orlando Bloom height and other body measurements
The actor weighs 77 kilograms and is 5 feet 11 inches tall. His chest measures 43 inches while his biceps measure 14.5 inches.
Orlando Bloom has always captivated fans through his amazing film performances. His rise to stardom from humble beginnings is undoubtedly inspiring to budding actors out there. Besides his career, Bloom has an exciting personal life which attracts much attention. What fascinates you most about this talented actor?