Ex-customs boss, 2 others allegedly stole N1bn - ICPC tells court

Ex-customs boss, 2 others allegedly stole N1bn - ICPC tells court

- The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) is planning to arraign Abdullahi Dikko

- Dikko is to be arraigned with two others for allegedly stealing over N1 billion

- The case with suit number FHC/ABJ/CR/21/2019-FRN v Abdullahi Inde Dikko & Ors is to be heard by Justice Lucia Ojukwu

Abdullahi Dikko, a former comptroller-general of the Nigeria Customs Service, will be facing arraignment at a Federal High Court in Abuja with two others for allegedly stealing over N1 billion.

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) is said to be planning to bring the charges against Dikko and the other defendants in a suit with number FHC/ABJ/CR/21/2019-FRN v Abdullahi Inde Dikko & Ors.

The case and its trial, according to Premium Times, is to be presided over by Justice Lucia Ojukwu of Court 7, Abuja Federal High Court.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

The report said Garba Makarfi, a former assistant comptroller-general of customs in charge of finance, administration and technical services, and Umar Hussaini, a lawyer, will be facing the court as co-defendants.

It was learnt that the three defendants were accused of inducing a businessman, Yemi Obadeyi, to pay N1.1 billion (N1,100,952,380.96) into the account of the law office belonging to Hussaini.

The fund was allegedly described as a refundable ‘completion security deposit’ meant for the purchase of 120 units of duplexes being accommodation for officers of the Nigeria Customs Service.

The ICPC further alleged that Dikko and Makarfi used the bank account of Hussaini’s firm to receive the money illegally.

The agency alleged also that during the same period between April 6, and December 2010, Hussaini shared the money into different accounts.

It accused Makarfi of receiving $3 million between April and December 2010.

PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news updates

According to the report the legal officer of the ICPC, Ephraim Otti, swore to an affidavit on January 25, 2019 at the Federal High Court in Abuja, explaining that the defendants had been investigated.

He said in the affidavit that they were probed for allegedly violating the corrupt practices and other related offences act, 2000; the advance fee fraud and other fraud related offences act 2006, and the money laundering (prohibition) act, 2011 (as amended).

Legit.ng earlier reported that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) recently claimed that the N1.5 billion imprest account of the external affairs ministry with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) was actually used to fund the political campaign of Goodluck Jonathan in 2015.

This allegation was made on Monday, February 4, by an investigator with the EFCC, Shuaibu Shehu, who spoke at a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.

Young ladies weigh in on President Buhari's re-election | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel