- Basem al-Hashimi al-Soul has said the son of the late Libyan leader, Muammar Gaddafi, will be contesting in the country's 2018 elections
- The Gaddafi family spokesperson said Saif al-Islam has prepared a platform and will announce his plans to run soon
- He said Saif al-Islam plans to impose more security and stability in accordance with the Libyan geography and in coordination with all Libyan factions
Saif al-Islam, the son of the late Libyan leader, Muammar Gaddafi, will be contesting the country's 2018 elections.
Legit.ng gathered that the family spokesman, Basem al-Hashimi al-Soul said Saif al-Islam had prepared a platform and will announce his plans to run soon.
Gaddafi's second oldest son was seen by some as a potential reformist successor to his father in the years before 2011 and remains a key figure for Gaddafi's loyalists, Daily Mail reports.
The family's spokesperson said: "The platform includes some procedures that Saif al-Islam hopes the United Nations would adopt to help Libya move from the incumbent transitional period to stability.
"Saif al-Islam plans to impose more security and stability in accordance with the Libyan geography and in coordination with all Libyan factions."
It was learnt that Saif was convicted of war crimes and sentenced to death in 2015, but was released in June 2017.
The 45-year old ex convict is the most prominent of the late leader's children.
Gaddafi's eldest son, Muhammad, was also regarded as a possible successor as Libya's leader but is reporedly uninterested in the role.
It was learnt that the United Nations is supporting the voter registration process as it seeks to reconcile rival factions and relaunch a political transition that would lead to new polls.
The UN Libya mission has previously said it hopes elections can be held by the end of next year, but has also acknowledged complex security, political and legislative challenges to organising a vote.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the International Organisation for Migration and the European Union on Thursday, December 14, facilitated the return of 249 more Nigerians from Libya.
The returnees arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos at about 9.47pm and were received by the director general of the National Emergency Management Agency Alhaji Mustapha Maihajja.
Nigerians speak on slavery in Libya - on Legit.ng TV