Functions of Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria
If you want to become a teacher in Nigeria, then you have to follow the rules of teaching in this country! Who set the rules of teaching in Nigeria? It's the responsibility of the Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria! What are the Functions of Teachers Registration Council in Nigeria? Continue reading to find out!
National Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria!
Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria or the TRCN was established in 1993. It's an agency of the Federal Ministry of Education. The legal basis for the TRCN is the TRCN Decree N31 and the last decree act is The TRCN Act T3 2004. The agency was created to control and standardize the Teaching Profession in Nigeria. It also controls the education level of teachers. The TRCN follows the Act established by teachers and stakeholders of the Agency.
What are the functions of Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria?
According to the agency Act, the TRCN can perform the following functions:
- The TRCN determines who is and who isn't a teacher. Therefore, it provides the necessary information about the teaching profession;
- The TRCN determines the standards for a teacher. Not just anyone can become a teacher today. Every teacher must follow certain standards and the TRCN provides these standards. It determines necessary knowledge and skills for teachers. In addition, the TRCN also has the permission to rse these standards if there are necessary circumstances or reasons;
- The TRCN registers teachers and maintains the list of these teachers;
- The TRCN regulates all aspects of the teaching profession and it also sets rules for maintaining these areas;
- The TRCN qualifies teachers according to their level of training. The agency also determines the qualification levels of teachers and sets the rules to acquire a certain level of teaching. The standards of teaching for levels can be different.
- The TRCN can perform other functions if they comply with the TRCN Act.
What helps TRCN to maintain its functions?
READ ALSO: NABTEB result is out for May-June 2017
According to the TRCN Act, the TRCN can establish various programmes to perform their functions effectively. The Council can also monitor or enhance these programmes if it`s necessary. The programmes can be established on the systematic basis or if they are needed. For now, to perform the main functions of the TRCN, the following programmes are implemented:
- Licensing, registration and enlisting of qualified teachers;
- Programmes to license and monitor training and education for teachers. It also includes the maintaining of teachers' institutions. These institutions include: The National Teachers Institute, Polytechnics, Education Institutes and Facilities in Nigeria, Colleges and Schools of Education;
- The TRCN also organizes internship programmes and schemes for fresh graduates from educational institutions. Therefore, it will help to equip new teachers with necessary knowledge and skills;
- The TRCN conducts examinations and testing for teachers. It helps to determine persons who can be registered as teachers;
- The TRCN creates programmes to establish minimum mandatory standards of teaching. It also sets up the Mandatory Continuing Professional Development that can guarantee that teachers will continue developing their skills;
- The TRCN provides the publications of registered teachers. The hard copies of these publications can be seen online;
- The TRCN has programmes to enforce professional ethics to teachers in Nigeria. It`s possible to conduct these programmes with the Teachers Tribunal and the Teachers Investigating Panel;
- The TRCN Act also provides the Council with the ability to prosecute false or unqualified teachers;
- The TRCN also has programmes that provide voice to the teachers. It means that teachers can share their knowledge at the scientific conferences and other meeting.
Who can help the Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria to perform their functions?
According to the strategy of the TRCN, the following organizations and persons can help the TRCN to perform its functions:
- Civil Society Organizations;
- International Development Partners: UN, UNESCO, World Bank, JICA and others;
- International Teachers` Agencies;
- Regulatory Agencies connected with other professions;
- The media and press;
- National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools;
- Nigerian Academy of Education;
- Deans and Vice Counselors of colleges, schools, faculties, universities and institutions of Nigeria;
- State Ministers of Education;
- Commissioners of Education;
- Governors and Executive Governors of States;
- National Council of Education;
- Federal Ministry of Education;
Duties of Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria
The TRCN has one main duty to perform and it's to provide the best teachers to the Nigerian Educational Institutions. To perform this duty, the TRCN has to follow the TRCN Act. Therefore, if a person wants to teach in Nigeria, then he/she has to go through the TRCN examination process. No teacher can teach in Nigeria without an approval of the TRCN.
This means the TRCN serves as a necessary instrument of the educational system of Nigeria. It helps to provide necessary education to the teachers. In addition, it serves as a united council for teachers where they can share their knowledge. The TRCN also protects the rights of teachers and provides necessary knowledge about these rights.
READ ALSO: What is integrated science all about?