Police battle Boko Haram suspects in Kano state

Police battle Boko Haram suspects in Kano state

- Police officers from the IGP special task force battle Boko Haram suspects in Kano state

- Some Boko Haram terrorists surrender to the Nigerian

- Three female Boko Haram terrorists trying to gain access into a military location are neutralised by troops

Some officers of the Nigerian Police Force and some Boko Haram members have engaged in a gun battle in Kano state.

Premium Times reports that at the end of battle which ensued on Sunday morning, July 23, three of the suspects were arrested, as well as two women suspected to be wives of the suspects.

READ ALSO: Benue, Rivers leaders reject Biafra Republic

Legit.ng learnt that the police officers who battled the insurgents were members of a special task force set up by the Inspector General of Police (IGP).

Disclosing how the insurgents were tracked, the Kano state commissioner of police, Rabiu Yusuf, said the police had been gathering intelligence on the suspects for a while.

He said the gun fight ensued at about 2am on Sunday, July 22, at Gaya in Ungogo local government area of the state.

Yusuf stated that the insurgents who battled the police were among the Boko Haram members who escaped from Sambisa forest in Borno when the military took over most part of the group’s former stronghold.

He said two members of the group who were earlier arrested, led officers to Gaya, where the gun fight occurred.

The commissioner said the leader of the terror cell was a dismissed military officer who was training the others.

He said the suspect threw an improvised explosive device (IED) at the police and started to shoot before the police fought back.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

He however noted that the leader of the group escaped during the heat of battle.

“The police came under attack by the terrorists group at their location but were overpowered by the tactical task force. Three police officers sustained injuries and three of the Boko Haram gunned down.”

The police boss gave the names of the arrested suspects as Abba Muhammad of Niger Republic, 20; Usman Buhari from Borno, 22; and Illiyasu Abdullahi from Kano, 46.

He said the arrested women are Gezawa Yau and Ladidi Yunusa.

The police said some of the items recovered from the suspects included, AK47 rifle, 49 rounds of ammunition, IEDs, two sets of Air Force uniforms, one military boot, one laptop, one iPad, and some pictures of the suspects wearing military uniform.

Meanwhile, some Boko Haram terrorists have surrendered to the Nigerian army claiming they were misguided into joining the group and asked for forgiveness from members of the community.

Among them was a 13-year-old boy and they revealed that there were many more terrorists who were willing to surrender due to the hardship they were facing.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

In a related development, three female Boko Haram terrorists trying to gain access into a military location were neutralised just as the army ambushed some terrorists in a separate operation.

This is coming following a 40-day ultimatum issued by the chief of army staff, Tukur Buratai that Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau should be apprehended dead or alive.

In a statement issued by Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman who is the spokesperson of the army, he said the attack was carried out on Saturday, July 22.

In the video below, the Nigerian Air Force gives an update on operations against Boko Haram in 2017.

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel