- Cristiano Ronaldo recently lost FIFA The best Award to Robert Lewandowski
- The 35-year-old won his second straight Serie A title this year
- The Portuguese beats Lionel Messi, Neymar, seven others to become the highest-paid player in 2020
Embattled Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil has been shortlisted among the top ten football stars in the outgoing year.
The 2014 World Cup winner has been frozen out of Arsenal squad across all competitions this campaign with Mikel Arteta backing his decision up.
However, the 32-year-old's income in the year 2020 stands at £23 million - about £700,000 better than Paul Pogba's earnings in the year under review.
Though this windfall might come to an end in the summer when his current deal with the North Londoners expires.
Meanwhile, Juventus forward, Cristiano Ronaldo is the highest-paid footballer this year having earned a total of £88.5 million.
The 35-year-old beats his arch-rival, Lionel Messi (£83.4m) to the summit of the chart with about £2.4 million.
Brazil and Paris Saint Germain forward Neymar Jr completes the top three chart with annual pay of £76.6m.
Liverpool forward is next to the former Barcelona attacker but the gap in their earnings is extremely wide.
The Egyptian goal king takes home £28.2 million every year - about a £48.4m difference between the third and fourth as reported by The Mirror.
French striker Kylian Mbappe wrapped up the top five highest earners in the outgoing year with £27.1 million. Barcelona star Antoine Griezmann came 10th on the log with £21.4m.
The top 10 highest paid footballers in 2020 (Forbes)
1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus) - £85.8m
2. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) - £83.4m
Inside Neymar’s stunning Paris lifestyle, living in a N3.3bn home once owned by French actor and driving £130m Ferrari
3. Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain) - £76.6m
4. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool) - £28.2m
5. Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain) - £27.1m
6. Andres Iniesta (Vissel Kobe) - £23.7m
7. Mesut Ozil (Arsenal) - £23m
8. Paul Pogba (Manchester United) - £22.8m
9. Oscar (Shanghai SIPG) - £22m
10. Antoine Griezmann (Barcelona) - £21.4m
Legit.ng earlier reported that Robert Lewandowski has been crowned the best player for the year 2020 following an impressive performance for his club in the outgoing year.
The Polish striker won five major titles with his German League outfit Bayern Munich including the UEFA Champions League.
He scored 55 goals and 10 assists in 47 appearances across all competitions - a feat that put him ahead of any other player in terms of individual awards.
3 interesting footballing moments between Maradona and Nigeria | Legit TV