Ex-Nigerian Defence Chief Reveals how he Predicted Bandits Invading Forests

Ex-Nigerian Defence Chief Reveals how he Predicted Bandits Invading Forests

- Former chief of defence staff claims that he anticipated the invasion of Nigerian forests by bandits

- Gabriel Olonisakin revealed that the Nigerian army under his leadership worked tirelessly to confront bandits

- According to the four-star general, a survey he conducted was able to identify 14 security challenges

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Nigeria's immediate past chief of defence staff, Abayomi Olonisakin (rtd), said that he predicted the invasion of forest by bandits years ago, Nigerian Tribune reports.

The former CDS made the statement during a special thanksgiving service held in his honour at the Redeemed Christian Church of God (Sunrise Parish), Ode-Ekiti, Gbonyin LGA of Ekiti state.

According to Olonisakin, he conducted a survey while in office which revealed that bandits would invade forests across the country to wreak havoc.

Ex-Nigerian Defence Chief Reveals how he Predicted Bandits Invading Forests
Former chief of defence staff revealed that the Nigerian army worked tirelessly to confront bandits. Photo credit: @ekitistategov
Source: Twitter

Speaking further, the former service chief said that under his leadership, the Nigerian Army in partnership with other security agencies worked tirelessly to checkmate insecurity in Nigeria and confront the bandits, Daily Post reports.

Read also

Tears as Benue announces mass burial for 7 persons killed by herdsmen

He added that the survey also identified 14 security challenges. Olonisakin said he developed strategies that bordered heavily on intelligence to tackle those crises.

He said:

“I was also futuristic in our approach to address some of the strategies. The invasion of our forests by bandits we are experiencing at the moment, I saw it years back. I did a kind of study and I knew that our next target was going to be the forests.”

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that Olonisakin said that the country’s next warfare and crisis will be in the forests.

He made the disclosure on Thursday, February 18, during his screening for an ambassadorial position at the National Assembly.

The retired general explained that under his leadership the Nigerian military had been transformed from being inexperienced in asymmetric warfare to building enormous capacity.

Read also

War against insurgency: FG to begin massive military recruitment

In a related development, the chief of defence staff revealed that under his leadership all the territories that were occupied by Boko Haram insurgents were reclaimed by the military.

Olanisakin made the disclosure when he handed over the mantle of leadership to his successor, Major General Leo Irabor, on Friday, January 29, in a ceremony at the defence headquarters.

He said the army was able to achieve such an accomplishment with the help of the government and Nigerians.

Source: Legit.ng News

Online view pixel