2023: Igbo Presidency now a Possibility, Ohanaeze Declares

2023: Igbo Presidency now a Possibility, Ohanaeze Declares

- Ohanaeze Ndigbo has revealed why an Igbo man would succeed President Buhari in 2023

- George Obiozor, the president-general of the group, said the Igbos are ready to speak in one voice

- Obiozor made the declaration on Monday, April 19, while addressing the press in Abuja

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

The apex Igbo socio-political organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo (worldwide), has expressed optimism that the southeast would get the presidency in 2023.

The Punch reports that the group’s president-general, Prof. George Obiozor, stated this on Monday, April 19, at a press conference in Abuja.

2023: Igbo presidency now a possibility, Ohanaeze declares
The president-general of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, George Obiozor, said that nothing would stop Igbo presidency in 2023. Credit: @Ohanaezendigboo
Source: Twitter

Legit.ng gathered that he said their differences and divergent views would not rob the Igbo of the presidency in 2023.

Vanguard reports that the group wondered why people were beaming unnecessary attention on negative issues such as security challenges in the southeast because the Igbo presidency had changed from probability to possibility.

Read also

2023: Ijaw leader backs Igbo presidency, reveals why Buhari's successor must be from southeast

Obiozor said:

“Our differences and divergent views will not rob us of the Presidency in 2023. Politics is a matter of choice. For the Igbos, having different opinions should not be a concern.
“For your information, no section of the polity has just one opinion, Igbos have different opinions and the opinions converge on the Presidency for the southeast in 2023."

Obiozor also faulted the refusal of the federal government to implement the report of the 2014 national conference, describing it as another lost opportunity.

The Ohanaeze boss said:

“The 2014 national conference was another missed opportunity. Many of the things were done on consensus. I was the southeast coordinator in the confab."
“That confab was another failed attempt at remodelling our federalism. They didn’t want to restructure, they didn’t want federalism."

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Read also

Panic as police take over venue of Yoruba self-determination rally in Ibadan

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that amid agitation for President Buhari's successor to come from the southeastern part of the country, a former governor of Imo state, Achike Udenwa, declared that what the zone needs now is restructuring, not the presidency.

It was reported that he also noted that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has not decided on where its presidential candidate would come from.

In a related report, an elder statesman, Chief Edwin Clark, backed the move to ensure that Nigeria’s next president emerges from the southeast.

The former national commissioner said President Muhammadu Buhari’s successor must come from the southeast in the interest of fairness and justice.

Clark, however, noted that for the region to actualise the dream of producing the next president, it must put its house in order.

Source: Legit

Online view pixel