- Some progress has been made towards bringing to book those behind the gunshots near the presidential palace in Niger Republic
- Security agents have nabbed soldiers who carried out the attempted coup
- International sources claimed that the gunshots were heard around the presidential complex in the early hours of Wednesday, March 31
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
The government of Niger Republic has arrested soldiers who spear-headed an attempted coup earlier on Wednesday, March 31.
Earlier, what could have turned out to be a successful coup plot in Niger Republic was thwarted by gallant soldiers after gunshots were heard near the presidential palace at Niamey on Wednesday, March 31.
The development is triggering suspicion that a coup plot is about to unfold just days to the inauguration of the president-elect, Mohamed Bazoum.
Although the international media said that calm has returned to the area, it also stated that the United States Embassy in Niamey had warned that it would remain closed due to gunshots.
The embassy, therefore, alerted its officials to stay at their respective homes until further notice.
An international source said about the incident:
"Heavy gunfire was heard for half-an-hour in the presidential palace area. The presidential guard repelled the attack and the situation seems to be back under control.
"With two days to go before the inauguration of the new president, we know that the main challenge facing him is security, but we were thinking more of terrorist attacks, not this kind of action."
The Nigerian leader made the comment while receiving a report on the elections in the country from former Nigerian vice president, Namadi Sambo.