- The Alaafin of Oyo is one of the longest-serving monarchs in Yoruba Land
- Unlike the Ooni of Ife who receives celebrities from time to time, the case is different with Alaafin
- Legit.ng has compiled a list of some popular figures who have been spotted with the highly revered king
Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III, Alaafin of Oyo, easily makes the list of one of the most powerful traditional rulers in Nigeria.
The 82-year-old monarch who has occupied the throne of his forefathers for 50 years is highly respected by his subjects as he is seen as a custodian of the Yoruba race.
However, unlike the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, who has gained a reputation for opening up his arms to those in the entertainment industry, the case may not entirely be the same with the Alaafin.
This is not to say that celebrities or popular figures have not been spotted with the king, but compared to Oba Adeyeye, the numbers are not on the high side.
Check out some entertainers/popular figures who have been sighted with the monarch.
1. Nollywood actress Lizzy Anjorin received the Alaafin at her Lagos residence shortly after she got married.
2. Nollywood actor Ibrahim Chatta pays respect to Alaafin at an event.
3. Governor Fayemi spotted with Alaafin of Oyo.
4. Business mogul Aliko Dangote and Alaafin of Oyo.
5. Actress Sotayo Gaga pays respect to Alaafin at an event.
6. Fuji musician and Mayegun of Yoruba Land, Wasiu Ayinde, spotted with Alaafin.
7. First lady of Osun state sighted with the monarch at an event.
8. Alaafin of Oyo pays a visit to fellow monarch, Oniru of Iruland.
9. The Alaafin spotted with Oyo governor, Seyi Makinde, and Alaketu of Ketu Land.
10. Alaafin of Oyo and Ooni of Ife spotted together at an event.
11. Alaafin of Oyo and Oluwo of Iwo.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the monarch reportedly took in another wife identified as Olori Chioma.
Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III stepped out with his new Olori during the installation of Tomori Williams as the Aare Onikoyi of Yorubaland.
Olori Chioma Adeyemi is reportedly the monarch’s thirteenth wife and the first eastern Olori.
Adeyinka Odutuyo is an entertainment/lifestyle journalist at Legit.ng with over three years of working experience in the media industry.
He has a degree in Linguistics and Communication Studies from Osun State University, Osogbo. When he is not writing about celebrities, you will find him blogging about local Nigerian recipes on Instagram (@playfoodbyyinka)