Threat of fresh #EndSARS protest as court approves freezing of youths' bank accounts

Threat of fresh #EndSARS protest as court approves freezing of youths' bank accounts

- There is a fear of the "second wave" of #EndSARS protests after the CBN secured a court order to freeze bank accounts belonging to some of the protesters

- The court had given the CBN the permission to freeze the accounts pending the conclusion of its investigations

- The development has already slowed down the progress of the Lagos judicial panel as one of the youth representatives on the panel was also affected by the court order

PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75000 or N38000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng

A report by The Nation has indicated that there is a fresh threat of another round of protests following the #EndSARS demonstration which was later hijacked by hoodlums.

According to the report, the new development is a result of the freezing of the bank accounts of some of the prominent youths who participated in the #EndSARS protest.

Be ready to face the law: Lagos govt sends strong warning to EndSARS protesters

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) had reportedly obtained an ex parte order obtained to freeze the accounts of 20 individuals and an organisation linked to the #EndSARS campaign.

Threat of fresh #EndSARS protest as court approves freezing of youths' bank accounts

EndSARS: Threat of fresh protest as court approves freezing of youths' bank accounts. Photo source: Premium Times
Source: UGC

One of the two youth representatives at the Lagos judicial panel, Rinu Oduala, was affected by the court order.

This has, in turn, led to the adjournment of the panel as the youth representatives boycotted the sitting on Saturday, November 7.

The Nation reported that many Nigerians especially youths have taken to social media to condemn the move by the apex bank, saying it may incite another wave of protests.

It was gathered that the court directed banks to freeze all transactions on the bank accounts on the affected #EndSARS protesters for a period of 180 days pending the outcome of investigation and inquiry currently being conducted by the CBN.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Police handled hijack of #EndSARS protests in a professional manner, says NYCN

Meanwhile, Legit.ng earlier reported that the EndSARS protesters in Lagos state had been warned against carrying out further demonstrations.

In a statement on Friday, November 6, by the commissioner for information, Gbenga Omotoso, the government urged the protesters to heed the warning of the police.

Omotosho said anyone with any grievance against the police force should approach the judicial panel of inquiry to state his or her case.

Will SWAT be more effective than SARS? Nigerians speak | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel