President Buhari’s directive on lockdown is understandable but risky - Yoruba forum says
- Yoruba Ronu Leadership Forum has reacted to President Muhammadu Buhari partially lifting the lockdown in some states
- The group in a statement on Wednesday, April 29, described the Nigerian leader's decision as understandable, but risky
- The forum explained that if there is no nationwide sensitization President Buhari's directive would fail
A group under the aegis Yoruba Ronu Leadership Forum has said that President Muhammadu Buhari’s decision to ease the lockdown in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Lagos, and Ogun states are “understandable, but risky”.
According to The Nation, the group on Wednesday, April 29, in reaction to the president's announcement said epidemiologists and communication strategists it consulted believed certain measures must be quickly implemented to make the government’s “sudden exit plan” successful.
Recall that the Nigerian leader in a nationwide broadcast on Monday, April 27, partially lifted the lockdown in the FCT, Lagos and Ogun states from Monday, May 4, and the immediate total lockdown in Kano.
However, the group in a statement by Akin Malaolu, the president, said without adequate and effective nationwide sensitization Buhari’s recent directive could fail.
According to the leadership forum, the National Orientation Agency's (NOA) influence in collaboration with states and local governments would be best for this task, however, it is yet to be felt.
The group said: “Going forward, the enlightenment strategy must include physical appearances in communities in deference to our communal way of life. This should be for the next 12 months in the first instance and starting immediately. It must also utilise relevant media of communication, not the least radio, which remains potent in reaching a largely oral society.
“The sensitisation, if properly carried out, will help the nation to avoid returning to sudden lockdown again, which, this time may be difficult to exit from.”
PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Governor Jide Sanwo-Olu gave new directives following the national broadcast of President Buhari which effectively changed the lockdown status of the state.
The president who had in his broadcast directed a partial reopening of the state said governors are free to modify the directive based on their state's peculiarities.
In line with this, the Lagos governor on Wednesday, April 29, directed that all schools in the state remain closed while at the same time suspending all commercial motorcycling (Okada) operation. The governor also limited the operations of tricycle (keke napep) to only two passengers at most.
Similarly, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has released a list of measures to adhere to in order to prevent COVID-19 spread as Nigerians in the affected states prepare to resume work from Monday, May 4, with 8pm to 6am curfew imposed.
"Despite the ease of the lockdown starting 4th May, it is critical for Nigerians to adhere to these measures to #PreventCOVID19 spread," NCDC wrote in a Twitter post on Wednesday, April 29.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better.
Coronavirus: How I go sidon for house when I no get husband? - Market woman | Legit TV