- Over 2,295 teachers have been killed and 19, 000 displaced in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa in nine years
- The disclosure was made by the minister of education, Mallam Adamu Adamu
- According to Adamu, 1,500 schools have been destroyed by Boko Haram terrorist group since 2014
The minister of education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, has said that over 2,295 teachers have been killed and 19,000 displaced in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa in nine years.
Adamu also disclosed that 1,500 schools have been destroyed by Boko Haram terrorist group since 2014, adding that the development resulted in 1,280 casualties among teachers and students.
The Nation reports that the minister said this has contributed to the number of out-of-school children in the country.
Legit.ng notes that Adamu said: “The greatest challenge of the out-of-school, phenomenon in recent years has been the problem of insurgency. Since the inception of the insurgency in the North-East, education has been under constant and system attack resulting in the killing of both learners and teachers and destruction of education facilities.
“Over 2,295 teachers have been killed and 19,000 displaced in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states in the last nine years. An estimated 1,500 schools have been destroyed since 2014, with over 1,280 casualties among teachers and students.
“This crisis has further devastated the education system as children, teachers and schools are in the frontline of the conflict.”
The minister said a policy on violence-free school for children in Nigeria was formulated to addresses the issue.
The Federal Ministry of Education, in collaboration with UNESCO, UNICEF, NGOs, state directors of policy, research and statistics in the six geo-political zones formulated the policy to create zero tolerance national culture towards violence against children seeking education.
Adamu added: “The policy will also promote a learning environment where children are respected, protected and empowered. The policy has been developed, critiqued and is undergoing final statutory processes before distribution to all stakeholders for immediate implementation."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that no fewer than 15 Nigerian soldiers were reportedly killed by suspected Boko Haram terrorists in an attack on a military base in Borno state.
The disclosure was made on Saturday, May 4, by security sources.
The insurgents rode into Magumeri local government area at about 6pm on Friday, May 3, and sacked a brigade there.
Among the 15 soldiers who lost their lives during the attack were a captain and a lieutenant.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters?| Legit TV