- The NCC has issued mobile network licenses to 25 companies that will boost mobile coverage in Nigeria
- MVNO licenses will also bridge the gap between unserved and underserved areas, and provide cheaper calls and data
- NCC actively engages with service providers, reviews licenses, and improves regulations to keep up with industry trends and developments
Unlock the best of Legit.ng on Pinterest! Subscribe now and get your daily inspiration!
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has granted licenses to 25 new companies to offer mobile telecommunications services under the Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) framework.
An MVNO is a company that does not own a mobile spectrum license but sells mobile services under its brand name, using the network of a licensed mobile operator.
Benefits of the new operators
The entry of MVNOs is anticipated to introduce competitive offerings in the telecommunications market, leading to reduced costs for calls and data services for subscribers.
PAY ATTENTION: Сheck out news that is picked exactly for YOU ➡️ find the “Recommended for you” block on the home page and enjoy!
The Cable reports that Mohammed Babajika, director, of licensing and authorisation revealed that the new MVNOs will also help bridge the gap between unserved and underserved areas
The licensed companies
Under the MVNO framework, licenses are categorized from tier 1 to tier 5, with the former being the most basic level.
As per NCC's database, the 25 licensed companies fall into the tier 2 to tier 5 categories, while no company has acquired a tier 1 license.
Tier 2 category:
- Routelink Integrated Systems Ltd
- Hazon Technologies Limited
- Asel Telecom Nigeria Limited
- Briclinks Africa Plc
- Pisi Mobile Services Limited
- Univasa Nigeria Limited
- Imose Technologies Limited
Tier 3 category
- Amics Technologies Limited
- Zegtel Limited
- Telewyz Limited
- Siu Telecommunications Network
- Abrindex Nigeria Limited
- Metropolitan Consortium Nigeria Ltd
- IPNX Nigeria Limited
Tier 4 category
- Imbil Telecoms Solutions Nig. Ltd
- Environmental Expressions Limited
- DMK Telecommunication Nig. Ltd
Tier 5 category
- Systegra Technologies Limited
- Choffan Communications Limited
- Mab Consultant and Associates Ltd
- H & Y Business Global Limited
- Taima Technologies Ltd
- Global Communication Extension Services Ltd
- USKS Ventures International Ltd
- Paribas Communication Limited
"Shine Your Eyes- No Fall Mugu": NCC warns Nigerians, exposes fraudsters tricks
Meanwhile, in another report, the NCC has received 20,000 complaints from Nigerians who have fallen victim to telecom fraud.
The commission reveals that many of the fraudsters pose as telecom operators or loan sharks to deceive people and extract money from them
NCC wants Nigerians to be vigilant and exercise caution when dealing with suspicious phone calls, messages, or requests.