Dangote Cement Takes Tough Action Against Over 250 Truck Drivers, list offences

Dangote Cement Takes Tough Action Against Over 250 Truck Drivers, list offences

  • Dangote Cement sanctioned more than 250 truck drivers for safety violations between 2025 and 2026, including speeding, illegal haulage and accidents
  • The company said 200 drivers were sanctioned in 2025, while over 50 were punished in 2026, with penalties ranging from suspension to termination
  • Dangote Cement said it combines driver training, real-time monitoring, strict discipline and rewards to improve road safety and reduce crashes

Legit.ng journalist Victor Enengedi has over a decade's experience covering energy, MSMEs, technology, banking and the economy.

Dangote Cement, Ibese plant in Ogun State, says it sanctioned more than 250 truck drivers for breaching safety rules between 2025 and 2026.

The company disclosed this during a press briefing in Ogun on Thursday, where it also demonstrated some of the advanced technology deployed to monitor drivers and promote safer operations on Nigerian roads.

Dangote Cement Sanctions Over 250 Truck Drivers for Safety Violations in Two Years
Dangote Cement Takes Tough Action Against Over 250 Truck Drivers, list offences
Source: UGC

The Head of Human Resources at Dangote Cement Ibese, Muhammed Al-Hassan, explained that disciplinary actions ranged from suspension to termination, depending on the seriousness of each violation.

Read also

Lagos government issues fresh warning over dealer number plates, 175 vehicles seized

He said the company maintains a strict safety policy and allows only adequately trained drivers to operate its trucks.

According to him, offences such as speeding, illegal haulage and involvement in accidents attract appropriate sanctions based on their severity.

More than 250 Dangote drivers disciplined

Al-Hassan said 200 drivers were sanctioned in 2025, while more than 50 others had already been disciplined in 2026.

He emphasised that the company operates a zero-tolerance policy toward breaches of its safety protocols, stressing that safety remains a top priority.

However, he noted that Dangote Cement's approach is not limited to punishment. Drivers who consistently demonstrate responsible and safe driving are also recognised and rewarded as an incentive for others to maintain high standards.

Dangote extends accountability to guarantors

The Head of Operations at Dangote Cement Ibese, David Idiege, said the company's enforcement measures could extend beyond the drivers themselves when serious violations occur.

Read also

Dealers increase cement price by N5,700, FG confirms new cost for 50kg

Idiege disclosed that the Ibese operation has more than 4,000 trucks and that sanctions are imposed according to the seriousness of each driver's offence.

He explained that where a driver absconds after committing a serious violation, the company may pursue the driver's guarantor. In cases involving major incidents, including crashes that result in fatalities, further legal action may also be considered.

The company said its road-safety strategy combines rigorous driver training, real-time monitoring technology, disciplinary measures and incentives for responsible driving.

It added that these measures are designed to minimise road crashes, strengthen accountability and promote safer and more professional haulage operations across the country.

Dangote unveils plans to expand into other industries

Legit.ng earlier reported that the President of Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote recently announced plans to expand his investment into steel manufacturing, electricity generation and port infrastructure.

Dangote noted that the capacity of his 650,000-barrels-per-day refinery will be also doubled within the next three years.

The industrialist stressed that Africa must prioritise large-scale manufacturing over commodity exports to boost industrialisation.

Source: Legit.ng

Authors:
Victor Enengedi avatar

Victor Enengedi (Business HOD) Victor Enengedi is a trained journalist with over a decade of experience in both print and online media platforms. He holds a degree in History and Diplomatic Studies from Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ogun State. An AFP-certified journalist, he functions as the Head of the Business Desk at Legit. He has also worked as Head of Editorial Operations at Nairametrics. He can be reached via victor.enengedi@corp.legit.ng and +2348063274521.