- More facts are emerging on the recent face-off between the management of Twitter and the federal government
- Sources say efforts had been made in the past alerting foreign governments on the activities of the separatist group, IPOB
- The sources say the recent suspension of the micro-blogging platform in Nigeria may have been a result of long-drawn warnings
FCT, Abuja - As the face-off between the federal government and Twitter persists, there are indications that some western nations were earlier tipped off of the terrorist activities of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, and its leader, Nnamdi Kanu, but the warnings were largely ignored.
A top government official who made the disclosure said the government which turned in the petition almost two months ago, was surprised when a number of such Western diplomats issued a statement over the weekend on the Twitter ban completely ignoring the issue.
The source said many of the Abuja-based diplomats have already become aware based on official communication from the Nigerian government.
Legit.ng gathered that a formal request was dispatched to the international community asking that IPOB and its leaders should be treated as criminals and terrorists in the manner of other known terrorist organizations around the world.
The source noted that the federal government in that communication had explained to some of the Western countries’ embassies that it had sought and obtained a court order declaring and proscribing IPOB as a terrorist organization.
The source also told Legit.ng that:
“It must be stated that there are several groups in Nigeria who advocate the restructuring of the country or even call for secession, yet they carry out their activities unhindered in so far as it is within the confines of the law.
“It is important to stress that IPOB was declared a terrorist organisation based on proven acts of terrorism.”
Giving an update on the number of attacks, the source stated that:
“In roughly under four months (from January to April) this year, IPOB has carried out over fifty-five (55) violent acts in various parts of Nigeria killing scores of people and destroying many properties.”
The top government official also disclosed that:
“Mr. Kanu continues to broadcast online from his base in some western cities and continues to issue series of instructions to his militia and other members of the outlawed organisation, on acts of violence to be carried out within the territory of Nigeria.”
Meanwhile, a group of women under the aegis of the Amalgamation of Northern Women Associations, staged a protest on Saturday, June 5, in Abuja, demanding a referendum to allow secession agitators to chose whether or not to remain in Nigeria.
The coordinator of the group, Hajia Hadiza Adamu, called on President Muhammadu Buhari and the leadership of the National Assembly to urgently call for a referendum to allow those who want to secede to do so without any war.
Adamu lamented that the secessionist agitation has turned the southeast region into a warzone, adding that northerners no longer feel safe there.
In a related development, the association of Onions Producers, Processors, and Marketers of Nigeria has threatened to stop the supplying of onion to the entire southern part of Nigeria.
According to the group, the embargo on the supply would not be lifted unless certain conditions laid down by the association are met.
The association disclosed that about N4.5 billion worth of onions and properties were destroyed by suspected hoodlums across southern states in the last few months in addition to the loss of lives of members of the association without any compensation.