FG Blames Service Chiefs for Delaying Defence Supplementary Spending

FG Blames Service Chiefs for Delaying Defence Supplementary Spending

- The federal government says the recently appointed service chiefs are delaying the supplementary budget approved by President Buhari

- The president had announced that there will be procurement of equipment on an accelerated basis for the security agencies

- The minister of finance, Zainab Ahmed, however, said she is yet to receive the aggregation of the military chiefs' requests

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

The minister of finance, budget and national planning, Zainab Ahmed, on Wednesday, March 31, said the supplementary budget for procurement of security equipment being prepared by the federal government was not ready yet.

She said the government was still waiting for the service chiefs who were expected to aggregate their requests and submit to President Muhammadu Buhari, who would in turn forward to her ministry.

Ahmed made the comment while speaking to State House correspondents after the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council presided over by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Read also

Boko Haram: We have arrested sponsors of terrorism, details will shock Nigerians, says presidency

FG blames service chiefs for delaying defence supplementary spending
The service chiefs have been accused of delaying the defence supplementary spending. Photo credit: Audu Marte/AFP
Source: Getty Images

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

The minister, who said the government was still waiting for the service chiefs, however, expressed the hope that the security estimates would be made available soon.

The Punch quoted her as saying:

They are supposed to aggregate their requests for review amongst themselves and then pass them to Mr. President, then it will be sent to us. So, we are waiting for the information of the aggregate requirements.”

Premium Times reports that President Buhari on Monday, March 29, informed the National Assembly that they will be receiving a special request from him on procurement of equipment for the security agencies.

The president said some of the equipment that had been procured are on the way and they will soon arrive.

Meanwhile, former chairman, Police Equipment Fund, Chief Kenny Martins on Thursday, March 25 disclosed that following rising insecurity in the country, Nigerians individually and collectively spend over N1trillion annually to provide security for themselves and their property.

Read also

Breaking: Buhari orders crackdown on bandits, kidnappers

Martins made this known while speaking as a guest speaker at an event with the theme: “Security Challenge and Implication on National Development,” held in Lagos.

He urged the government to play its role in ensuring the security of lives and properties in the country.

In a related development, the House of Representatives may soon pass a Bill for Act, to permit Nigerians from the age of eighteen, to carry arms for self-defence.

A bill to that effect, entitled: “Firearms Amendment Bill,” has already been sponsored by Honourable Adejoro Adeogun.

Source: Legit.ng

Authors:
Jerrywright Ukwu avatar

Jerrywright Ukwu Jerrywright Ukwu is an Abuja-based senior political/defence correspondent. He is a graduate of the Nigerian Institute of Journalism, Lagos and the International Institute of Journalism in Abuja. He is also a member of the Nigeria Union of Journalists. He spends his leisure-time reading history books. He can be reached via email at jerrywright39@yahoo.com.

Online view pixel