- Iliya Gwaram, the father of one of the abducted Jangebe schoolgirls was recently freed from the den of kidnappers
- Narrating his ordeal, Gwaram said he was scared when he saw his daughter among abducted children brought to the camp where he was being held
- The man, who disclosed he had been with the kidnappers for three months, said he wept bitterly the day the schoolgirls were taken away from their camp
A father of one of the abducted Jangebe schoolgirls, Mallam Iliya Gwaram, who has also been in captivity finally regained his freedom on the night of Monday, March 8.
PM News reports that Gwaram, who was brought to Government House, Gusau around 9 p.m. on Monday, said he told his daughter not to recognise him in the den of their abductors.
Legit.ng gathered that the father was rescued along with nine other victims, including nursing mothers and three toddlers.
War against insecurity receives major boost as northern governor secures release of 10 kidnapped victims
“I have been in captivity with these other people for more than three months when on that Friday morning, l saw the school girls being brought into where we were camped by our abductors."
Gwaram said he never cried in the whole of his life like he did the day the girls were taken back, saying that he felt it was the last time he would see his daughter.
The man, however, said he had no idea whether money exchanged hands to secure their freedom.
According to him, the relatives of two women that were rescued along with him reportedly paid two million naira to the bandits more than two months ago but the money could not be traced.
Gwaram is determined to allow his daughter to continue with her education. He explained that if was not educated, she would have exposed him when she saw him at the camp and that would have put the both of them in grave danger.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Zamfara government declared a dusk-to-dawn curfew in Jangebe town in Talata Mafara local government area of the state.
It was reported that the state commissioner for information, Sulaiman Anka, made the announcement in a statement sent to journalists on Thursday, March 4.
Wale Akinola is a passionate journalist and researcher. He works as a senior political/current affairs editor at Legit.ng. He holds both B.A and Master’s degree in Communications and Language Arts from the University of Ibadan. He also holds a Diploma Certificate in Peace Journalism. He has over 15 years of work experience in both print and online media. He derives joy in keeping the public abreast of current happenings locally and internationally through his writings.