Zamfara govt imposes curfew in Jangebe after kidnapped schoolgirls return sparked riots

Zamfara govt imposes curfew in Jangebe after kidnapped schoolgirls return sparked riots

- The town of Jangebe is now officially under curfew decreed by the Zamfara state government

- Riots erupted in the town on the day the recently kidnapped schoolgirls were returned to their parents

- To prevent further breakdown of law and order, the Zamfara state government has issued a stay-at-home directive to residents of the town

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

The Zamfara government has declared a dusk-to-dawn curfew in Jangebe town in Talata Mafara local government area of the state.

The state commissioner for information, Sulaiman Anka, made the announcement in a statement sent to journalists on Thursday, March 4.

According to him, the government’s decision was in reaction to the riots that took place in the town following the return of the released abducted school children.

He added that the curfew was imposed to prevent any further breach of peace in the area by potential troublemakers.

Read also

Several killed as bandits overrun six villages in Zamfara state

Zamfara govt imposes curfew in Jangebe after kidnapped schoolgirls return sparked riots
The Matawalle-led government has imposed a curfew in Jangebe. Photo credit: @Bellomatawalle1
Source: UGC

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Channels TV quoted him as saying:

“Similarly, there is strong discovered evidence of market activities in the town that aid and abet bandits’ activities in the town and neighbouring communities. Consequently, all market activities in the town are hereby suspended until further notice.”

Legit.ng had reported that the release of the girls triggered another unfortunate incident that led to the death of one person in Jangebe.

The victim was reportedly shot by security operatives who were said to have opened fire after an angry mob kicked against the insistence on a formal handover before the girls’ parents could leave with them.

Meanwhile, Governor Bello Matawalle of Zamfara state has revealed that the security man of the Government Secondary School in Jangebe, was involved in the abduction of the schoolgirls on Friday, February 26.

Read also

Jangebe: Violence, chaos erupt as students reunite with families in Zamfara, photos emerge

The governor made the revelation on Wednesday, March 5 while speaking on a Channels Television political programme.

Governor Matawalle said information at his disposal indicated that the school’s security guard aided the bandits in whisking the students away.

Legit.ng had earlier reported that Governor Matawalle expressed his readiness to resign his position as the state's number one citizen if it means things get better in the state.

The governor said he is ready to step down if that will restore security in the troubled northwestern state.

Jerrywright Ukwu is an Abuja-based senior political/defence correspondent at Legit.ng. He is a graduate of the Nigerian Institute of Journalism, Lagos and the International Institute of Journalism in Abuja. He is also a member of the Nigeria Union of Journalists. He spends his leisure-time reading history books. He can be reached via email at jerrywright39@yahoo.com.

Source: Legit

Online view pixel