- Federal government has declared that nothing would stop Okonjo-Iweala from becoming the director-general of WTO
- The former minister was set to be named the DG on Wednesday, October 28, before she was blocked by the US
- The Nigerian government, however, said that it would ensure Okonjo-Iweala's emergence as DG of WTO
Despite the threat by the United States of America to block Nigeria's former minister of finance and coordinating minister of economy, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, from becoming the director-general of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), the federal government has restated its support for the ex-managing director of the World Bank.
Legit.ng reports that the government's position was made known in a statement issued on Thursday, October 29, by the spokesperson for the ministry of foreign affairs, Ferdinand Nwonye.
The statement was titled - Update on Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala’s aspiration to lead the World Trade Organisation.
The federal government said:
“Nigeria will continue to engage relevant stakeholders to ensure that the lofty aspiration of her candidate to lead the World Trade Organisation is realised.
The ministry added that Okonjo-Iweala had secured the support of the majority of the WTO members with only the United States opposing her.
It stated that a meeting of the general council of the WTO has been scheduled for November 9, 2020, for the final decision on the election process.
The statement further stated:
“The ministry of foreign affairs wishes to inform that the third and final round of the selection process of the Director-General of the World Trade Organization was concluded on Tuesday, 27th October 2020, and the result was formally announced on Wednesday, 28th October 2020.
“The candidate from Nigeria, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has secured the support of the majority of the member countries but is yet to be declared and returned the winner. This is because apart from winning the election, all the 164 Member States of WTO were expected to adopt the winner by consensus, in accordance with the rule of procedure of the WTO.
“It is important to highlight that Dr Okonjo-Iweala has secured cross-regional backing with only the United States opposing the consensus.”
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the United States’ government gave reasons for being against the candidacy of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as the director-general of the WTO.
It was reported that the explanation came in a statement by the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative on the WTO director-general selection process, released late Wednesday, October 28.
The USTR said it is backing Okonjo-Iweala's main challenger, Yoo Myung-hee, trade minister of Korea, for the top position.
33-yr-old lady becomes first woman in Lagos to bear mace | - on Legit TV
Source: Legit.ng News