- Nigerian troops of Operation Lafiya Dole continues to stave off threats by Boko Haram insurgents
- The troops deployed around Gamboru Ngala have successfully averted what would have been a major bomb attack
- The attack was to be executed by three female Boko Haram terrorists against innocent citizens
Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole have successfully averted what would have been a major attack carried out by three female Boko Haram terrorists against innocent citizens in Gamboru town in Gamboru Ngala local government area of Borno state in the early hours of Tuesday, January 9.
Legit.ng gathered that two of the bombers, strapped with suicide vests had attempted infiltrating Gamboru town at about 6.45 am when they were sighted by a joint patrol team of vigilant troops and Civilian JTF at Unguwar Yobe area shortly before entering the town.
According to a statement by a spokesman of Operation Lafiya Dole, Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu, they were halted by the patrol team from a safe distance and were ordered to unstrap their suicide vests, to which they vehemently declined.
READ ALSO: Army partners with Innoson for military vehicles production
All efforts and entreaties by the patrol team to make the bombers remove their IED vests failed as the duo adamantly approached the troops armed with their IED vests.
They were immediately neutralised by the troops, while the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team (EOD) safely unstrapped and detonated the vests.
A third female bomber was detected and intercepted within the same general area and subsequently confessed to the joint patrol that she and the other two terrorists had been dispatched at about 3.30 am on Tuesday to unleash mayhem on Gamboru town.
She also revealed the location she had hid her vest and led the troops to recover it. The recovered vests and the surviving bomber have been taken into custody for further interrogations.
“We call on the general public to be more alert and vigilant, while going about their daily activities in their various communities to detect suspicious persons and inform the security agencies accordingly," the statement said.
Meanwhile, the Borno state government has reviewed the curfew in Maiduguri metropolis from 8pm to 6am as against the existing 10pm to 6am.
Dr Mohammed Bulama, the state commissioner, home affairs, information and culture, disclosed this in a statement on Monday, January 1 in Maiduguri.
Bulama said that the curfew was temporary and geared towards enhancing security in the metropolis.
READ ALSO: Boko Haram attacks Borno, 4 persons reportedly killed
Nigerian Air Force operations against Boko Haram on Legit.ng TV