State governors elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have faulted the Muhammadu Buhari administration over its decision to indefinitely suspend Twitter in Nigeria.
The argument against the ban
1. The governors said the ban on Twitter will worsen the country’s unemployment crisis, noting that the ban would hurt Nigerian youth who do not have adequate access to employment and have been relying on Twitter to earn a legitimate income.
2. The PDP urged President Buhari to review the ban in the national interest.
3. The governors stated that the reasons given by the government for the suspension of Twitter were personalised.
4. According to the governors, social media regulation can only be done within the existing laws on the subject.
5. The governor argued that the ban may be used as an attempt to punish or gag Nigerians from enjoying constitutionally guaranteed rights.
Premium Times reported that the governors also expressed fear that the Buhari administration may be sliding into dictatorship.
FG says Twitter suspension to remain indefinitely
According to the report, a top government functionary squealed that the ban remains indefinite for now as the Buhari-led administration insists on using the opportunity to enforce social media regulation.
The source also gave more details over the fall-out of a meeting between the minister of foreign affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, and some foreign envoys.
Ismaeel Ahmed justifies the ban on Twitter
In another news, one of President Muhammadu Buhari’s aides, Ismaeel Ahmed, says he is not happy that he cannot tweet following the suspension of Twitter in Nigeria.
The senior special assistant to the president on the national social investment program made the statement when asked how he personally felt about the development as a youth.
He, however, justified the suspension of the social media site, The Sun reported.