- Samuel Umtiti has tested positive for COVID-19
- The Frenchman did not travel with Barcelona to Lisbon for Champions League clash against Bayern Munich
- The World Cup winner had been nursing an injury before the Catalans jet out of Spain for the remainder of the European season
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
Barcelona top star Samuel Umtiti has been told to self-isolate after the result of his coronavirus test came back positive.
The Frenchman was not part of the Catalan club that got demolished by Bayern Munich in their quarterfinal clash at the Estadio da Luz.
Umtiti, who has been out injured was said to have taken the test at the club's training ground earlier in the week. Though, he was infected with the virus, but he is asymptomatic.
SkySports report that the World Cup winner is the second Blaugrana star to contract the disease while preparing for the epic Champions League clash against the Bundesliga giants.
However, the duo did not travel with the rest of the team to Portugal where the remainder of the European championship would go doen.
The publication revealed that players tested on Tuesday were: Pedri, Trincao, Matheus Fernandes, Jean-Clair Todibo, Moussa Wague, Carles Alena, Rafinha, Juan Miranda and Oriol Busquets.
Meanwhile , a statement released by the club says: "After the PCR tests carried out on Thursday the first team player Samuel Umtiti has tested positive for Covid-19. The player is asymptomatic, is in good health and is isolating at home.
"The club has informed the relevant sporting and health authorities as well as tracing all the people who have had contact with the player so that they can undergo the corresponding PCR tests."
Barcelona's out-of-squad players had returned to pre-season training on Wednesday.
Legit.ng earlier reported that Barcelona have concluded plans to send centre-back Samuel Umtiti to Arsenal on a season-long loan deal this summer.
The 26-year-old World Cup-winning defender has played less than 20 games across all competitions so far this campaign.
Meanwhile, reports claim the Frenchman is not part of Quique Setien's plans for the 2020-21 season.
How we mistakenly celebrated Yakubu’s miss at 2010 World Cup – Brown Ideye | Legit TV