Everyone gets frustrated in life by other people or even themselves when things do not work out as expected. When we believe that there is something we must have to be happy and fulfilled, we set ourselves for disenchantment and frustration. Disappointment quotes come in handy in such moments because they remind us that these feelings are inevitable for every living human being.
Though unpleasant, our experiences of sadness, frustration, and disenchantment provide valuable information about our beliefs about ourselves, other people, and what will make us truly happy. Through disappointment quotes, we get meaningful reminders that it is okay to feel sad and that we will feel better after some time.
Best disappointment quotes and memes for everyone
Why does disappointment hurt so much? It hurts because the brain predicts what will be a rewarding experience and motivates us to seek it out. When we do so, dopamine rises in anticipation of the reward our brain expects.
We then feel bad because we did not get what we wanted. When we are let down by others or let ourselves down, we experience a sharp drop in dopamine, due to our brain not getting the reward it expected.
When one is overwhelmed by the feeling of sadness, they may read or even post a disappointment quote or disappointment meme on their social media pages to express their feelings.
Top quotes about disappointment
There are numerous disappointed quotes that can express your feelings of sadness whenever your expectations in life are not met. During such moments, do not shy away from reading or posting a disappointed quote on your social media, as it may help you to feel better.
Below are some of the top quotes on this subject that will challenge you to face your situation and motivate you to do better in the future;
- Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ― H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- Disappointment is a sort of bankruptcy - the bankruptcy of a soul that expends too much in hope and expectation. ― Eric Hoffer
- There are some things in this world you rely on, like a sure bet. And when they let you down, shifting from where you've carefully placed them, it shakes your faith, right where you stand. ― Sarah Dessen
- When you find your path, you must not be afraid. You need to have sufficient courage to make mistakes. Disappointment, defeat, and despair are the tools God uses to show us the way. ― Paulo Coelho
- Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them. ― Jodi Picoult
- Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust Him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan. ― Charles Stanley
- Life will throw many obstacles onto our life path that will make us sad at times. Dealing positively with these obstacles is what makes the difference between them turning into worse states or being overcome. ― Jonny Oates
- We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope. ― Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Disappointment, when it involves neither shame nor loss, is as good as success; for it supplies as many images to the mind, and as many topics to the tongue. ― Samuel Johnson
- Disappointment is just the action of your brain readjusting itself to reality after discovering things are not the way you thought they were. ― Brad Warner
Expectation and disappointment quotes
We often have very high expectations when we set targets and goals in life or even when dealing with other people. When these expectations are not fulfilled, we feel sad and distraught.
To deal with the sadness that comes with being let down, it is important to face reality and rethink outcomes.
How do you express disappointment? Sometimes, people can find some relief by writing their feelings down, addressing the issue with people who let them down, and even changing expectations.
Many famous people have cautioned us to stop expecting too much from both ourselves and others. That way, we are less likely to feel frustrated in life, as these quotes remind us;
- Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed. ― Alexander Pope
- Look. I have a strategy. Why expect anything? If you don't expect anything, you don't get disappointed. ― Patricia McCormick
- Let's face it: None of us are ever going to get to the place in life where we have no more disappointments. We can't expect to be sheltered from every little thing. Being let down is a fact of life; one that must be dealt with. ― Joyce Meyer
- When you have expectations, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. ― Ryan Reynolds
- Disappointment is a good sign of basic intelligence. It cannot be compared to anything else: it is so sharp, precise, obvious, and direct. If we can open, then we suddenly begin to see that our expectations are irrelevant compared with the reality of the situations we are facing. ― Chogyam Trungpa
- If you expect nothing, you can never be let down. Apart from a few starry-eyed poets or monks living on a mountaintop somewhere, however, we all have expectations. We not only have them, we need them. They fuel our dreams, our hopes, and our lives like some super-caffeinated energy drink. ― Tonya Hurley
- The joy of losing consists in this: Where there are no expectations, there is no disappointment. ― Charles Krauthammer
- Our thoughts about an event can have a dramatic effect on how we go through the event itself. When our expectations are low, it's easy to be pleasantly surprised. When they're not, we're vulnerable to painful disappointment. Because of this, many people spend a good deal of effort trying to avoid developing high hopes about anything. ― Martha Beck
- You are your own worst enemy. If you can learn to stop expecting impossible perfection, in yourself and others, you may find the happiness that has always eluded you. ― Lisa Kleypas
- While it is important for people to see your promise, you must also remember that hope is the keeper of both happiness and disappointment, the father of both progress and failure. ― Bryant H. McGill
Love disappointment quotes
Every human being has an innate desire to love and be loved. Love can be between friends and family or even romantic love. Almost every adult has undergone a heartbreak from someone they deeply loved or experienced the hurt of being let down by a very close friend.
When this happens, a disappointed love quote comes in handy. Such quotes teach and remind us that we may not always get what we want from those we love.
- Nobody ever gets what they want when it comes to love. ― Scott Turow
- There can be no deep disappointment where there is not deep love. ― Martin Luther King, Jr.
- There's only so many times you can allow someone to let you down before you will no longer tolerate it. When things go wrong between two people, something has got to give. You get to the point where you get tired of being the only one trying to fix things, it's not giving up, it's realizing you had enough. You've got to do what's right for you, even if it hurts. ― Brigitte Nicole
- Disappointments in love, even betrayals and losses, serve the soul at the very moment they seem in life to be tragedies. The soul is partly in time and partly in eternity. We might remember the part that resides in eternity when we feel despair over the part that is in life. ― Thomas Moore
- Everybody has fallen down or been disappointed in love. Where you truly shine is when you get back up. Use it as a learning experience and believe in all of the possibilities. – Sherry Argov
- I have a history of making decisions very quickly about men. I have always fallen in love fast and without measuring risks. I have a tendency not only to see the best in everyone, but to assume that everyone is emotionally capable of reaching his highest potential. I have fallen in love more times than I care to count with the highest potential of a man, rather than with the man himself, and I have hung on to the relationship for a long time (sometimes far too long) waiting for the man to ascend to his own greatness. Many times in romance, I have been a victim of my own optimism. ― Elizabeth Gilbert
- I caught myself thinking about falling in love with someone who I hoped was out there right now thinking about the possibility of me, but I quickly banished the notion. It was that kind of thinking that landed me in this situation, to begin with. Hope can ruin you. ― Perry Moore
- There's something depressing about a young couple helplessly in love. Their state is so perfect, it must be doomed. They project such qualities on their lover that only disappointment can follow. ― Roger Ebert
- It was one thing to make a mistake; it was another thing to keep making it. I knew what happened when you let yourself get close to someone when you started to believe they loved you: you'd be disappointed. Depend on someone, and you might as well admit you're going to be crushed, because when you really needed them, they wouldn't be there. Either that or you'd confide in them, and you added to their problems. All you ever really had was yourself, and that sort of sucked if you were less than reliable. ― Jodi Picoult
- The strength of a love is always misjudged if we evaluate it by its immediate cause and not the stress that went before it, the dark and hollow space full of disappointment and loneliness that precedes all the great events in the heart's history. ― Stefan Zweig
Life, friendship and family disappointment quotes
We always expect that our friends and family will be there for us in both good and bad times, and they expect the same of us. However, the challenges of life may not always make this a realistic expectation.
There are moments in which we will fail our friends and vice versa. Life, family, and friendship disappointment quotes remind us to be mature whenever we are frustrated by others and never to give up in life.
- The best way to deal with disappointment is to acknowledge and work through the feelings it induces. ― Noaman Kaysingwala
- Life is all about setbacks. A life lived without disappointment is a life lived in a cocoon. People have recovered from far worse setbacks. ― Tony Clark
- Now it's time to get over our past and the disappointments that came with it. Now it's about making the rest of our lives the best of our lives. Not only do we all have the potential to be great, greatness is upon you. ― Eric Thomas
- There is space within sisterhood for likeness and differences, for the subtle differences that challenge and delight; there is space for disappointment - and surprise. ― Christine Downing
- You need to keep your emotions in balance, treading that fine line between commitment to your goals and disappointment when they do not come to fruition, whilst still being optimistic and positive about the future. ― Tom Laurie
- Life's too tough to get to the top without passion. You're going to fail, be taken advantage of, be disappointed by people you trust, disappoint yourself, run out of resources - almost every day you're going to encounter a good, solid, logical reason why you ought to give up. And without passion, you just might. ― Zig Ziglar
- The depth of the love of parents for their children cannot be measured. It is like no other relationship. It exceeds concern for life itself. The love of a parent for a child is continuous and transcends heartbreak and disappointment. ― James E. Faust
- The principles of living greatly include the capacity to face trouble with courage, disappointment with cheerfulness, and trial with humility. ― Thomas S. Monson
- Man must be disappointed with the lesser things of life before he can comprehend the full value of the greater. ― Edward Bulwer-Lytton
- Do not be discouraged by the disappointments you meet. Don't ever loose hope because, you missed opportunities. Disappointment and missing opportunities are all essential components of life. They give us the reasons to reason and they teach us the best lessons in life. They give a clear distinction between the wonder and the wander. ― Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
Top disappointment memes
How do you describe feelings of disappointment? They can be described as a form of deep sadness, a sense of loss, or a painful gap between our expectations and reality.
These feelings are overwhelming and often lead to harmful coping mechanisms if we are not careful. It is essential to realize that each human being will experience these feelings a few or even many times in life.
In the present-day world, using a dissapointed meme to express the hurt and anger of unfulfilled expectations is not unusual. You can use a disappoint meme from the list below to express your feelings of sadness;
- Everything in life will let you down
When you are let down by things you had high hopes for, you will feel hurt, you want to quit, but that is life.
- Letting your family down
You cannot please everybody in life. Sometimes, you have to accept that you will let people down, just like they do to you.
- Love does not come easy
Nothing annoys me more than when someone expects you to be okay with something that they would not be okay with if you did it.
- Even those you love will let you down
We do not understand it when someone lets us down, but in time, it will become an unwanted companion that walks with us through life.
- How to behave when they let you down
I am never shocked when people let me down. I just allow myself to feel sad for a minute, lower my expectations, then refocus.
- You are not as smart as you imagined
It is sad when you realize you are not as smart as you thought you were.
- It is not always intentional
When we set the expectations too high for others, they will fail you, even if they do their best.
- Even things will let you down
Everything will let you down in life, even leaves. You must always look on the brighter side of things to keep going. If you fail to remain positive, you set yourself up for very sad years ahead.
- Always be ready to be let down
Each betrayal makes you more intelligent, but there is also a funny side to being let down.
- When you let yourself down
This will certainly be a bad trip for him. He must be feeling like the biggest loser ever.
Disappointment quotes and memes are some of the best ways of expressing the frustration, anger, and disenchantment that comes when our expectations in life are not fulfilled. These feelings are inevitable in life, but we have the choice to look for the silver lining after a moment of sadness.