Nigerian news All categories All tags
Boko Haram ambush: 23 soldiers, 8 trucks missing in Borno

Boko Haram ambush: 23 soldiers, 8 trucks missing in Borno

- Twenty-three Nigerian soldiers are yet to be accounted for after Boko Haram insurgents ambushed a military convoy in Borno

- After the attack five officers, 18 soldiers and 8 trucks were missing

- The insurgents ambushed the troops and in the process many of them have been missing

No fewer than 23 Nigerian soldiers are yet to be accounted for after Boko Haram insurgents ambushed a military convoy at Boboshe village in Bama local government area of Borno state.

Five officers, 18 soldiers and 8 trucks were missing after the attack which occurred early on Saturday, July 14.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) learnt that the military, acting on intelligence, mobilised troops in a convoy of 11 trucks to clear the insurgents from the deserted village.

READ ALSO: Jubilation in Ekiti after Fayemi wins gubernatorial election (photos)

The attacking insurgents were believed to have been those who escaped the ongoing offensive by the military to flush out the Boko Haram terrorists in the fringes of Sambisa Forest and Lake Chad region.

A competent military source, told NAN that the insurgents in their hundreds ambushed the troops and in the process many of them have been missing.

He disclosed that only three of the 11 trucks deployed to the area returned to their base in Maiduguri, after suffering huge loss in the battle with the insurgents.

“There was a quick response by the army when they received reports that hundreds of the insurgents gathered at Boboshe on Maiduguri-Konduga-Bama road.

“The gallant soldiers were ambushed by the insurgents, only three of the 11 trucks returned to the base.

“It is not clear what happened but it was assumed the soldiers were missing following the ambush,” he added.

Meanwhile, residents of Jilli community in Gubio local government council of Borno, on Saturday fled the town sequel to an attack by Boko Haram insurgents.

It was learnt that the insurgent attacked the area from the axis of Lake Chad, forcing the residents to flee.

Malam Bukar Mustapha, one of the residents, told NAN that he and other villagers fled their homes when they received report that the insurgents were coming to attack them.

“In the afternoon on Saturday, we heard that the insurgents gathered in the nearby bush preparing for the attack.

“I am one of those who ran to Maiduguri, which is about 45 kilometres from my village.

“On Sunday morning, I called Gubio and I was told that the insurgents had attacked the town during the night time. I do not have the casualties because the situation is still not clear at Jilli,” Mustapha said.

Another resident who pleaded anonymity said troops had been deployed to the area.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Legit.ng previously reported that the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) issued a red-alert on Thursday, March 15, as it warns residents of Borno state against an impending attack by the Boko Haram terrorist group using vehicles loaded with explosives.

According to the police, the planned attack may result in heavy casualty if it succeeds since the insurgents are suspected to be targeting strategic locations of the city that are densely populated.

A statement by the police command in Borno state, signed by Ahmed Bello, an assistant commissioner of police, said the attack could take place in different parts of the city.

See the faces of newly arrested criminals in Lagos State - on Legit.ng TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Legit.ng

Tags:
NAN
Mailfire view pixel