A free spirit marches to the beat of their own drum. They are people who think and act in an uninhibited way without worrying about standard social rules. While it may take some time to develop this kind of personality, the rewards are amazing.
What does free spirit mean? Here are all the details you need to know about what the free spirit definition is, what it takes to be free-spirited, and what you need to know while dating such a person.
What is a free spirit?
Many people define free spirit as a person who desires to be free from all external and internal oppressive forces above all else.
The free spirit is by nature, a rebel who may appear eccentric, weird, or otherworldly to society.
They choose to walk a different path in life that empowers them to listen to their soul's voice, be free from suffering and enslavement, and fulfill their destiny.
Free spirit characteristics
Here are some characteristics that free-spirited people have
- They are rebels and non-conformists.
- Learning is a great passion in their lives.
- Work-life balance is non-negotiable.
- Every new person is a potential friend to them.
- They do not dwell on the past.
- They value experiences over objects.
- They might be claustrophobic.
- They do not see roadblocks; they see opportunities.
- They love partying, but not as much as their "me time."
- They lose track of time quickly.
- They are innovators and dreamers.
- They think worrying is a waste of time.
- They are not competitive.
- They have too many hobbies to count.
- They thirst for truth.
- Free-spirited people are fiercely independent.
- Long-term commitments aren't their style.
- They have an inner "BS" detector
- They welcome challenges.
- They have great relationships with their exes.
- Their heart is their compass
- "I will not be enslaved" is their unconscious motto
- They are often caught daydreaming.
- They live intentionally.
- They do not let other people's opinions of them affect their self-worth.
- Their relationships are the most important thing to them.
- They are born leaders.
- They find ways to laugh at just about anything life throws at them.
- They fall in love easily.
- They are grounded.
Dating a free spirit
Can a free spirit be in a relationship? Yes, they surely can. But before you begin dating one, there are a couple of things you need to note.
Here are some things that you need to know about free-spirited people before you begin dating one.
1. They follow their desires, but it does not make them selfish
Just because they do as they please does not mean they do not care about other people.
2. Distractions are portals of discovery for them
They like to focus on what everyone else ignores and leave no stone unturned. Do not try to discourage them from their oddball ways.
3. Sometimes they wander and end up in unusual places
But it makes life interesting.
4. They have hungry minds, so they like trying out new things and experiences
There is a lot you can experiment with when you are around them.
5. They look for the extraordinary in the ordinary
They like to appreciate the little miracles in life.
6. They are open to change but do not expect to change them
You can expand their horizons, but they will not change.
7. They will challenge conventions and beliefs
You better learn to embrace free thinking, just like free spirits.
8. They would rather spend money on experiences than material things
They would rather spend money traveling rather than buying an expensive gift.
9. They do not manipulate – they inspire
They will never make you do something you do not want to do. But they will inspire you to try something new.
10. They observe and accept instead of judging
They always try to imagine life from another person's point of view.
11. They cannot be around negative energy
So do not give off bad vibes.
12. They do not like being contained
Do not attempt to control them or their exploring.
13. They live in the moment
They act spontaneously, and time goes by quickly.
14. They are shameless
While they are not insensitive, one cannot make them feel insecure about their bodies or opinions.
Can a free spirit be married?
Yes, they absolutely can.
With free spirits, freedom and independence come from their need for personal growth, which they get from building their identity outside of the relationship, so as long as you give a free spirit their space, your marriage should last.
Free spirit quotes
- “I am a free spirit. I tell the truth, and I like to mix it up.” – Ed Rendell
- “I can entertain. I am a party girl. I am a free spirit.” – Kendra Wilkinson
- “I have fallen in love with the imagination. And if you fall in love with the imagination, you understand that it is a free spirit. It will go anywhere, and it can do anything.” – Alice Walker
- “A free spirit is not bound by this, that, matter, materialism or opinion. They sing, dance and flow on the wind — for they are at one with it. They are nothing and everything — void and expanse. Even space and time does not confine or define them. For they are pure energy itself.” – Rasheed Ogunlaru
- “I am a free spirit. I am very impulsive. I put the most trust in people chance after chance, regardless of how they treat me.” – Sasha Lane
- “I’m a human, and I’m multidimensional. If I was the perfect form of anything, I’d be boring. If I was a free spirit all the time, I would be boring; I would lack depth. If I was dark and enigmatic all the time, then I would lack relatability.” – Halsey
- “They can’t chain my spirit! My spirit runs free! Walls can’t contain it! Laws can’t restrain it! Authority has no power over it!” – Bill Watterson
- “The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” – Albert Camus
A free spirit is an interesting individual. They live by their own rules, and it's hard not to admire them and their confidence. They are true gems. Just like Simeon Rice said, “I am a free spirit. A spirit that evolves. I’m a diamond. I’m just refining it. Polishing it. Glossing it up.”
READ ALSO: What is a Sigma male: Definition, traits, examples, famous sigmas
As reported by Legit.ng, Sigma males are defined as rule breakers and makers. Such a man may also be defined as an introverted Alpha who lives his life his own way. He has all the best traits of the Alpha and Beta.
According to Vox's classification, a man can either be an Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Omega, Lambda, or a Sigma. While the Alpha is defined as the center of attention, the Sigma male is quite the opposite. This man disregards hierarchical norms and goes against the mainstream.