More than 50 years since the premiere of this show, 13 different actors have had a chance to play the part of The Doctor. The success of this show is undeniable, despite fans favoring some actors over others. This collection of Doctor Who quotes is perfect for taking a trip down memory lane.
This British sci-fi show chronicles the adventures of The Doctor as he explores the universe in a time-travelling space ship called the TARDIS. Accompanied by several companions, The Doctor combats a variety of foes while working to save civilizations and help people in need.
He "transforms" into a new body when the current one is too severely harmed to heal normally. Because of this detail, 13 actors have had a chance to play the role.
The most memorable Doctor Who quotes
Each of the actors brought something new to the show, and some are more memorable than others. The collection below contains the best Dr Who quotes from your favorite actors.
9th Doctor quotes
The ninth Doctor, who ushered in the show's revival in 2005, is portrayed by Christopher Eccleston. His companions are Rose Tyler, Adam Mitchell, and Captain Jack Harkess. Although Eccleston's departure from the show was controversial, he left fans with some of the best Doctor Who quotes:
- Nice to meet you, Rose. Now run for your life!
- You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take the time to imagine the impossible.
- 900 years of time and space, and I've never been slapped by someone's mother.
- What are you going to do, moisturize me?
- Rose… before I go, I just wanna tell you; you were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. And do you know what? So was I!
10th Doctor quotes
The tenth Doctor is an outwardly charismatic and charming adventurer whose likeable and easygoing attitude can quickly turn to righteous fury when provoked. He is played by David Tennant.
Tennant has been voted the best doctor of all, with his seasons being consistent fan favorites over the years. In the fourth series, he is accompanied by Catherine Tate through a series of intriguing adventures.
The Scottish actor chose to leave the show after three series, nine specials, and several spin-offs because he did not want to "outstay" his welcome. Here are the most popular and witty tenth doctor quotes that are worth remembering:
- New teeth. That's weird. So, where was I? Oh, that's right: Barcelona!
- Oh, how to explain the mechanics of the infinite temporal flux? I know: Back to the Future! It's like Back to the Future!
- Crossing into established events is strictly forbidden. Except for cheap tricks.
- People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff.
- I don't want to go.
12th Doctor quotes
The twelfth Doctor is a contemplative, and pragmatic character who conceals his emotions in the course of making tough and sometimes ruthless decisions. He is portrayed by Scottish actor Peter Capaldi and has Clara Oswald, Bill Potts, and Nardole for companions.
Although he eventually left the show for fear of getting complacent, he delivered some of the most memorable sayings. Here are some of the Doctor Who quotes Peter Capaldi left us:
- Kidneys! I've got new kidneys! I don't like the color.
- Your chances of survival are about one in a thousand. So here's what you do. You forget the thousand, and you concentrate on the one.
- I'm The Doctor. I've lived for over two thousand years, and not all of them were good. I've made many mistakes, and it's about time I did something about that. Clara, I'm not your boyfriend.
- What's that in the mirror? Or the corner of your eye? What's that footstep following, but never passing by? Perhaps they're all just waiting; perhaps when we're all dead, out, they'll come a-slithering from underneath the bed.
- Sometimes the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose.
13th Doctor quotes
The 13th Doctor is the current incarnation of this legendary character. She is portrayed by English actress Jodie Whittaker, the first woman to play the character in the series.
This incarnation's companions are Ryan Sinclair, Graham O'Brien, and officer Yasmin Khan, all of whom she met shortly after her regeneration.
In a time when women could use all the encouragement and representation they can get, a female Doctor on such a legendary show is no small feat. This is why most of her quotes are so relatable.
- Don't panic. Not the end of the world. Well, it could be the end of the world, but one thing at a time.
- When you say soon to be leader, what are you now, the office junior?
- The systems aren't the problem. How people use and exploit the system — that's the problem.
- I know, because we're all the same. We want certainty. Security. To believe that people are evil or heroic. But that's not how people are. You want to know the secrets of existence? Start with the mysteries of the heart. I can show you everything if you stop being afraid of what you don't understand if you trust me.
- The Future is not fixed. It depends on billions of decisions and actions, and people stepping up. Humans. I think you forget how powerful you are. Lives change worlds. People can save planets or wreck them. That's the choice. Be the best of humanity.
The Daleks are violent and merciless aliens who demand total conformity to their will. They are bent on the conquest of the universe and the extermination of what they see as inferior races.
These creatures are the show's most popular and famous villains, and their returns to the series over the decades have gained media attention.
Some of their hilariously evil quotes are:
- You make your incompetence sound like an achievement!
- Why do human beings kill human beings?
- This is not war – this is pest control!
- You are superior in only one respect…you are better at dying.
- Would you care for some tea?
Doctor Who love quotes
Over the years, multiple scenes in this show have yielded unexpected Dr Who love quotes as the companions confess their love for the time-travelling immortal. Some of these Doctor Who quotes about love are very heart-wrenching and impossible to forget:
- I'm sick of losing people. Look at you, with your eyes, and your never giving up, and your anger, and your kindness. One day, the memory of that will hurt so much that I won't be able to breathe, and I'll do what I always do. I'll get in my box, and I'll run, and I'll run, in case all the pain ever catches up. And every place I go, it will be there. – 12th Dr to Clara Oswald
- Do you know like we were saying about the Earth revolving? It's like when you were a kid. The first time they tell you the world's turning, and you just can't quite believe it because everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it. I can feel the turn of the Earth. The ground beneath our feet is spinning at a thousand miles an hour, and I can feel it. We're falling through space, you and me, clinging to the skin of this tiny little world, and if we let go… That's who I am – 10th Dr to Rose Tyler
- Hold hands. That's what you're meant to do. Keep doing that, and don't let go. That's the secret. – 11th Dr to his companions
- Listen, when we're done here, by all means, you go and find yourself a shoulder to cry on. You'll probably need that. Until then, what you need is me! – 12th Dr to his companions
- There's a lot of things you need to get across this universe. Warp drive…wormhole refractors…You know the thing you need most of all? You need a hand to hold. – 11th Dr to his companion.
This compilation of Doctor Who quotes has something for everyone who loves the legendary sci-fi series. Whether you are looking for a nostalgic Doctor Who quote that will remind you why you loved a certain character or sad Doctor Who quotes, this article has you covered.