Air force officer dismissed for defiling 14-year-old IDP
An officer of the Nigerian Air Force identified as Martins Owerem has been convicted and dismissed for raping a 14-year-old internally displaced person in Maiduguri, Borno state capital.
Owerem, who was court-martialed, was said to have defiled the girl when he was officer in charge of the special force battalion, near Bakassi IDP camp, in 2018.
The prosecution counsel, Aminu Mairuwa, said while the convict was on patrol duty on September 29, 2018, at Kawon Jiya community in the outskirts of Maiduguri, he arrested some girls who were collecting firewood, on the pretext that they crossed a restricted area.
READ ALSO: Alleged certificate forgery: Court reportedly nullifies Adeleke’s nomination for Osun gov poll
The Cable reports that one of the girl was said to have been taken to the bush by the convict where she was defiled.
Legit.ng gathers that Mairuwa said the convict took one of the girls into the bush and had carnal knowledge of her.
President of the court, Yakubu Auta, held that the court found Owerem guilty on the two count charges of rape and assault.
The court discharged and acquitted the officer on the third count charge and ordered his dismissal from service on the first count charge.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that there was unease in the Nigerian Army after over 200 senior officers from the rank of lieutenant colonel to major general were said to have been ordered to proceed on compulsory retirement.
According to report, the order followed a directive from the chief of army staff, Lt General Tukur Buratai, to the military secretary of the army to serve notice of retirement to officers who went through the Nigerian Military School (NMS), Zaria (a secondary school) where they spent five years.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Sources said the army chief directed that the five years the affected officers spent as secondary school students in the military school be added to their years of military service.
Former army spokesman, Brigadier General Sani Usman, was also affected by the directive along with over 200 officers.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters?| Legit TV