Nigeria's Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, attained the statutory retirement age on Monday, February 1.
However, as Nigerians awaited the announcement of the appointment of a new IGP, President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday, February 4, 2021, extended Adamu's tenure for three months.
Amid the legal tussle of the tenure extension, the minister of police affairs, Mohammed Maigari Dangyadi, announced on Tuesday, April 6, that President Buhari has approved the appointment of DIG Usman Alkali Baba as the acting IGP with immediate effect.
As President Buhari appoints the new police boss, Legit.ng lists in the piece all the IGPs Nigeria has had since the 1960s.
1964 to 1999
1. IGP Louis Edet (1964-1966)
2. IGP Kam Salem (1966-1975)
3. IGP Muhammadu Dikko Yusufu (1975-1979)
4. IGP Adamu Suleiman (1979–1981)
5. IGP Sunday Adewusi (1981–1983)
6. IGP Etim Inyang (1985–1986)
7. IGP Muhammadu Gambo-Jimeta (1986–1990)
8. IGP Aliyu Atta (1990–1993)
9. IGP Ibrahim Coomassie (1993–1999)
2000 to 2010
10. IGP Musiliu Smith (1999–2002)
11. IGP Mustafa Adebayo Balogun (2002 – 2005)
12. IGP Sunday Ehindero (2005–2007)
13. IGP Mike Mbama Okiro (2007–2009)
14. IGP Ogbonna Okechukwu Onovo (2009 - 2010)
2010 till date
15. IGP Hafiz Ringim (2010 - 2012)
16. IGP Mohammed DIKKO Abubarkar (2012 - 2014)
17. IGP Suleiman Abba (2014 -2015)
18. IGP Solomon E. Arase (2015 - 2016)
19. IGP Ibrahim Kpotun Idris (2016-2019)
20. IGP Mohammed Abubakar Adamu (2019-2021)
21. Acting IGP Usman Alkali Baba (2021-)
Note that Baba's appointment is subject to the approval of the Council of State meeting expected to be convened soon.
Recall that the presidency had said President Buhari would not be driven by ethnic sentiments or affiliations in his choice of a police chief.
Presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu, made the statement in reaction to agitations and calls from a section of the country that the next IGP should come from the southeast.
Shehu insisted that the president would only appoint someone who will ensure the security of Nigerians is better than what has been recorded.