- In what seems like a miracle, an 82-year-old widow has recovered from COVID-19 in Osun state
- The good news was broken on Friday, May 29, by the state commissioner of health, Rafiu Isamotu
- The octogenarian recovered after spending nine days in an isolation centre in Osogbo, the state capital
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed
The government of Osun state said an 82-year-old woman recovered from the coronavirus disease against the notion that elderly people with chronic diseases are the highest risk group.
Legit.ng reports that the state commissioner for health, Rafiu Isamotu, confirmed the recovery in a statement on Friday, May 29, in Osogbo, the state capital.
Isamotu said that the woman, who was hypertensive, recovered from the virus after receiving treatment for nine days at the isolation and treatment centre, Asubiaro General Hospital, Osogbo.
He said that the woman, a widow, was confirmed positive and admitted into the facility on May 13.
He explained that the patient, who contracted the disease while in contact with an infected person, showed no symptoms of the virus before her sample was collected, except for diarrhoea.
“The story of the 82-year-old widow provides a glimmer of hope, considering that she is a hypertensive patient on med.ication.
“Although, when she arrived at our isolation centre on May 13, she had no cough, difficulty in breathing, sore throat, fever or anosmia associated with the virus, except for diarrhoea. We successfully treated her for it and she was stable all through the period of hospitalisation.
“On her 9th day of admission, we carried out a follow-up polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test on her and the result came back negative and she was subsequently discharged on May 24. “Furthermore, a follow-up at her home after her discharge revealed that she was stable,’’ Isamotu said.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Governor Yahaya Bello-led government insisted that the north-central state is still free of coronavirus scourge despite fresh discovery.
It was reported that the state's utter denial coincided with the report by Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announcing two cases in the state.
Saka Haruna Audu, Kogi health commissioner, in a statement on Wednesday, May 27, said the state has conducted hundreds of COVID-19 tests out of which none came out positive.
Coronavirus: Youngsters celebrate Children's Day in Abuja | - on Legit TV