Nigerian news All categories All tags
Donald Trump threatens North Korea's Kim Jong-un with military action after cancelling summit

Donald Trump threatens North Korea's Kim Jong-un with military action after cancelling summit

- President Trump threatened North Korean leader Kim Jong-un with military action

- This was following the US president’s cancellation of the planned summit between the two leaders

- Trump said he cancelled the summit due to anger and hostility displayed in Kim Jong-un’s recent statements

US President Donald Trump reportedly threatened North Korea’s Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un with military action on Thursday, May 24, after cancelling their much anticipated June 12 summit in Singapore.

The US president said the American military was “ready if necessary” to react with its allies should North Korea take any “foolish or reckless acts”, The Telegraph UK reports.

Trump had formally cancelled the historic meeting with Kim earlier on Thursday, May 24, through a letter released by the White House.

READ ALSO: Tragedy as SARS officer gets killed 10 days after his wedding

The US president wrote to Kim: “We were informed that the meeting was requested by North Korea, but that to us is totally irrelevant. I was very much looking to being there with you.

“Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting.”

Trump said, “this missed opportunity is a truly sad moment in history”. He, however, appeared open to the talks being rearranged, saying: “If you change your mind having to do with this most important summit, please do not hesitate to call me or write.”

“Sadly, I was forced to cancel the Summit Meeting in Singapore with Kim Jung Un,” he tweeted.

However, in what appears to be a clear threat, Trump said: “You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.”

He later said he had talked to James Mattis, the US defence secretary, and the US joint chiefs of staff, adding that “our military… is ready if necessary”.

Mike Pompeo, the US secretary of state, reportedly declined to say whether South Korea or Japan, both American allies, had been notified of the cancellation before it was made public.

Legit.ng gathered that President Trump on also said the “maximum pressure” campaign of sanctions would remain in place, meaning North Korea will continue to suffer economically in the coming weeks.

A senior White House official who spoke on the condition of anonymity allegedly gave more details about why the meeting had been cancelled, detailing the “profound lack of good faith” displayed in recent weeks.

The official said that senior White House figures had gone to Singapore for preliminary talks with the North Koreans ahead of the summit but their counterparts never showed up.

“They waited and they waited. The North Koreans didn’t show up,” the White House official said, adding: “They simply stood us up.”

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

The senior White House official hinted that more North Korean individuals, entities and ships could be hit with economic sanctions, saying the US had not yet reached its bid to create “maximum pressure”.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that North Korea canceled a high-level summit with South Korea and threatened to cancel its meeting with the United States over American military drills with South Korea.

Fox News, citing Yonhap News, reported on Tuesday, May 15, North Korea claimed that the military drills were a rehearsal for a potential invasion of the country.

Street Gist: Will Nigeria be a better place with Trump as president? | Legit.ng TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel