Governor Uzodinma Reveals Alleged Sponsors of Imo Attacks

Governor Uzodinma Reveals Alleged Sponsors of Imo Attacks

- Governor Uzodinma has blamed the recent attacks in Owerri on aggrieved politicians who wanted to bring his government down

- The Imo state governor said he has credible information regarding the sponsors of the attacks but he does not want to pre-empt ongoing investigations by the security agencies

- Meanwhile, the police had earlier blamed the attacks on the members of the proscribed group, IPOB

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

The governor of Imo state, Hope Uzodinma, has claimed that aggrieved politicians sponsored the recent attack on security facilities in the state.

Governor Uzodinma made the allegation on Wednesday, April 7, while featuring on Channels Television’s ‘Politics Today’ programme.

Governor Uzodinma Reveals Sponsors of Imo Attacks
Governor Hope Uzodinma has blamed the recent attack on security facilities in Imo state on aggrieved politicians. Photo source: @quezy4j
Source: Twitter

Some gunmen had on Monday, April 5, attacked the federal prison in Owerri and freed hundreds of inmates.

The attackers also razed the Imo State Police Command headquarters situated in Owerri and burnt all the vehicles parked at the command headquarters.

Read also

Just in: Days after Imo jailbreak, FG makes juicy offer to fleeing inmates

Speaking on the television programme, the Imo state governor blamed the attack on aggrieved politicians who wanted to destabilise his government and that of President Muhammadu Buhari.

He said:

“What is important for Nigerians to know is the plot by a group of aggrieved politicians to destabilise the government of APC (All Progressives Congress).
“I have done some thorough investigation and I have some credible lead as to those who are sponsoring these activities of these hoodlums.
“I don’t want to pre-empt the investigations of other security agencies but I can tell you we are working hard to ensure the sponsors of this dastardly acts must be brought to book.”

Meanwhile, contrary to the governor's position, the police have since accused members of the Eastern Security Network, the security arm of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), of being the masterminds of the attacks.

However, the secessionist agitators have since denied being responsible for the attacks.

Read also

Attack by hoodlums: Security beefed up as IGP arrives Imo

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Earlier, Legit.ng reported that President Muhammadu Buhari ordered relevant agencies of the federal government to end what he called “anarchy” in Imo state.

In a statement posted on his Twitter page on Monday, April 5, a presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu, said the president condemned what he regarded as the “deadly insurgent attack” that took place on the police command Headquarters and the correctional facility in Owerri, Imo state.

President Buhari called the incident an act of terrorism that must be checkmated at all costs.

Source: Legit

Tags:
Online view pixel