- Footballers score goals every time but some have mastered the art that they become the best in their continents
- Cristiano Ronaldo recently equalled Ali Daei's 109 international goals record in the world during Euro 2020
- With Lionel Messi set to break Pele's 77 goals record, here are the top scorers for their continents
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
Lionel Messi edges closer to overtaking Brazil legend Pele's international goals record after netting 76th Argentine goal in their Copa America quarterfinal victory over Ecuador over the weekend.
The 34-year-old needed just two more goals to become the player with the most goals in the South American while Neymar is also eyeing the top spot as he currently has 68 goals for his country.
Cristiano Ronaldo is the current join top scorer at the international level with Iranian's Ali Daei as they both have 109 goals each as reported by Give Me Sport.
However, below are the top five highest goal scorers across continents from Africa to Europe including the Oceania.
1. Godfrey Chitalu (Zambia) - 79 goals
2. Kinnah Phiri (Malawai) - 71 goals
3. Hossam Hassan (Egypt) - 68 goals
4. Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast) - 65 goals
5. Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon) - 56 goals
1. Ali Daei (Iran) - 109 goals
2. Mokhtar Dahari (Malaysia) - 89 goals
3. Hussein Saeed (Iraq) - 78 goals
4. Ali Mabkhout (UAE) - 76 goals
5. Kunishige Kamamoto (Japan) - 75 goals
1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) - 109 goals
2. Ferenc Puskas (Hungary) - 84 goals
3. Sandor Kocsis (Hungary) - 75 goals
4. Miroslav Klose (Germany) - 71 goals
5. Robert Lewandowski (Poland) - 69 goals
1. Stern John (Trinidad & Tobago) - 70 goals
2. Carlos Ruiz (Guatemala) - 68 goals
3. Carlos Pavón (Honduras) - 57 goals
3. Clint Dempsey (USA) - 57 goals
3. Landon Donovan (USA) - 57 goals
1. Pele (Brazil) - 77 goals
2. Lionel Messi (Argentina) - 76 goals
3. Neymar (Brazil) - 68 goals
4. Luis Suárez (Uruguay) - 64 goals
5. Ronaldo (Brazil) - 62 goals
1. Tim Cahill (Australia) - 50 goals
Lionel Messi helped Argentina reach Copa America semifinals
Legit.ng earlier reported that Lionel Messi inspired Argentina to the semifinal of this year's Copa America competition after scoring one and assisting two other goals in their quarterfinal triumph over Ecuador.
The 34-year-old is still chasing his first title with La Albiceleste since he broke into the senior team in 2005.
Although he has powered them to the finals of major competitions, the best he has settled for was a silver medal at both the World Cup and the South American championship.