- Barcelona star Sergio Busquets was rushed to the hospital during the Atletico game
- The midfielder had a head collision with Stefan Savic and was replaced by Ilaix Moriba
- Barca confirmed he encountered multiple injuries but are hoping he could return before the season wraps up
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
Sergio Busquets may have played his last game for Barcelona this season after suffering a head injury during their Spanish League clash against Atletico Madrid earlier this weekend.
The 32-year-old Spaniard suffered a head injury after colliding with Stefan Savic while challenging for the ball in the 27th minute.
He was immediately attended to by the medical team for some minutes but he could no longer continue and was Ilaix Moriba one minute after the half-hour mark.
Sources coming from the camp of the Catalans however revealed that the midfielder was rushed to the hospital for further tests to know the extent of the damage he suffered in the game.
They are also hoping he could return in time for the remainder of the La Liga season as they are still in contention for the league title at the end of this season.
Barcelona while confirming the news on their official Twitter handle said Busquets had some complications due to the collision but quickly said it is nothing too serious.
"Sergio has a facial contusion with an upper maxilla fracture and is progressing favorably. His recovery will determine his availability."
Ronaldo Koeman's men temporarily sit second on the log with 75 points - two points behind Atletico pending the result of Real Madrid and Sevilla's game later today, Sunday, May 9.
Meanwhile, the Catalans will face Levante (Tuesday, May 11), Celta Vigo, and Eibar on May 16 and 23 respective to wrap up their season.
While Real Madrid will battle Sevilla, Granada, Athletic Bilbao, and Villarreal in their remaining league matches.
Atletico on the other hand have Real Sociedad, Osasuna, and Real Valladolid left to play as the title contention appears to be dragging to the last day of this campaign.
Legit.ng earlier reported that Barcelona and Atletico Madrid had to share the spoils as it ended 0-0 at the Camp Nou as the race for this season's la Liga title intensifies.
A loss for either side will dim their chance of claiming the title, so they knew it was a blockbuster encounter.
League leaders Atletico made their intentions known as soon as the game kickstarted forcing Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen into action first.